Looking for feedback on my website...

Personally I think the site looks very nice. As far as saying a Flash site is a mistake, I do not want to go there because to me it is just what certain people expect from your site and what your site is intended for. If you sell products on your site then Flash is a big mistake to me but if it is just to show people your gallery or just some information and things like that then hey Flash is cool. Just my two cents ;)

and, oh.... I should mention that some who believe flash sites are bad feel really strongly about it.

My customers love mine. I'm sure glad I'm not selling to photo enthusiasts.

-Pete

I've hated flash since before I was a photo enthusiast. It's more about smart browsing.

Flash is dangerous. It requires you to open your computer to things it really shouldn't be open to (Active X, Javascripts etc). When you spend as much time on the net as me, you learn to be careful what you allow to happen to your browser, especially considering I don't use a firewall and don't use Anti Virus software. I use No Script and Ad Block Plus to filter out crap that could allow my computer to be compromised and am careful where I browse to. I only enable it for sites I trust.

Don't get me wrong, the resultant pages are often nicely done. (Often not). They're just too risky for some of us, that's all.

why not just get a mac and not worry about any of this :er:

and, oh.... I should mention that some who believe flash sites are bad feel really strongly about it.

-Pete

I've hated flash since before I was a photo enthusiast. It's more about smart browsing.

Flash is dangerous. It requires you to open your computer to things it really shouldn't be open to (Active X, Javascripts etc). When you spend as much time on the net as me, you learn to be careful what you allow to happen to your browser, especially considering I don't use a firewall and don't use Anti Virus software. I use No Script and Ad Block Plus to filter out crap that could allow my computer to be compromised and am careful where I browse to. I only enable it for sites I trust.

Don't get me wrong, the resultant pages are often nicely done. (Often not). They're just too risky for some of us, that's all.

why not just get a mac and not worry about any of this :er:

Uhh, mostly because I don't want one, partly because the software I need to run won't run on a mac, and quite frankly, I already don't worry about any of that. :twak:

I ran (and crashed) macs for years. Besides, a mac is like the point and shoot of computers and to be honest, I'm a control freak. :meh:

1. What are the things you like about the website? Very Nice looking photos. Nice colour scheme.

2. What are the things you don't like? I don't like the fact it is a flash site, but besides that....
It loads too slow.
In Firefox, the gallery thumbnails are cut off on the bottom of my monitor. The logo at the top is also cut off.
When in the gallery, where does the navigation go? I had to refresh the site to go back to the main page.

3. How can I make the website better?
Use a preloader between pages. Let the user know how much time is left until the next page loads.
Optimize your site for different browsers/screen resolutions.

Besides, a mac is like the point and shoot of computers and to be honest, I'm a control freak. :meh:

Haha I like that.

-Pete

Flash is too risky??? LOL omg

-Pete

Flash is too risky??? LOL omg

Use computers much??? Read English much??? LOL omg

Seriously, reading and comprehension are key. Perhaps a refresher course is in order for you... :lmao:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have made several changes to my website and published them. Check it out again and let me know what you think!

I lost interest having to click other places to see the stuff. Too un-professional. Instead of clicking on your site, I decided to go somewhere else. No offense, that's just the way the innerwebz werkz. You've usually got one shot to grab people's attention, and having to clickity click click to get to something is usually a big turn-off. :meh:

After reading about the site, I decided to click on your link...it took one minute and four seconds to load the introductory page,and there under the headline "portraits" was a shot of a guy riding a blue motorcycle! OMG, that smacked of amateurism, but I clicked on the "Portraits" link anyway, and I was rewarded with incredibly slow-loading thumbnails. And poor samples. The engagement horizontal of the young man and his fiancee,taken while they were seated on a bench and the photographer towered over them? Oh,so D-40-ish.

Your site? It's a cookie-cutter Flash site that looks almost exactly like 100,000 other bad photography web sites,and its incredibly, pathetically, agonizingly slow loading says, "Your time is not worth much. We have no regard for how our company looks, and no regard for the time of potential customers. Oh, and we built this site using templates,and just dumped photos into it."

Sorry, but that's how I feel. Poorly executed site, looks JUST like many sites I have seen,and pathetically slow even on a blazingly fast cable connection. I have no idea who designed the site's template, but that entire approach is a massive detriment.

After reading about the site, I decided to click on your link...it took one minute and four seconds to load the introductory page,and there under the headline "portraits" was a shot of a guy riding a blue motorcycle! OMG, that smacked of amateurism, but I clicked on the "Portraits" link anyway, and I was rewarded with incredibly slow-loading thumbnails. And poor samples. The engagement horizontal of the young man and his fiancee,taken while they were seated on a bench and the photographer towered over them? Oh,so D-40-ish.

Your site? It's a cookie-cutter Flash site that looks almost exactly like 100,000 other bad photography web sites,and its incredibly, pathetically, agonizingly slow loading says, "Your time is not worth much. We have no regard for how our company looks, and no regard for the time of potential customers. Oh, and we built this site using templates,and just dumped photos into it."

Sorry, but that's how I feel. Poorly executed site, looks JUST like many sites I have seen,and pathetically slow even on a blazingly fast cable connection. I have no idea who designed the site's template, but that entire approach is a massive detriment.

My instincts have served me faithfully again, I see. :p Thanks for taking one for the team. :thumbup:

After reading about the site, I decided to click on your link...it took one minute and four seconds to load the introductory page,...

Huh... it loaded for me in less than 10 seconds.

...and there under the headline "portraits" was a shot of a guy riding a blue motorcycle! OMG, that smacked of amateurism, but I clicked on the "Portraits" link anyway, and I was rewarded with incredibly slow-loading thumbnails. And poor samples. The engagement horizontal of the young man and his fiancee,taken while they were seated on a bench and the photographer towered over them? Oh,so D-40-ish.

Huh? Why would you go from helping this guy with his site to taking shots at his work?

"Amateurism?" Are you saying PBase is so much more professional looking?

And, I'm sorry you can't make good photographs with a D40.

Sure. Maybe a site "created and maintained by Slug and Emily" is the way to advance the profession.

-Pete

Thanks for taking one for the team. :thumbup:

What team is that?

That would be the "We don't need no stinkin' flash only sites" team and the "No, I won't "disable pop-ups" in my browser in order to view your site" team.

Honestly, not sure why you feel the need to bash on people for giving their honest opinion, like they were asked. Oh, wait, I take that back... I'm pretty sure I know why. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back