What's new

Looking for good lighting for possible studio and travel

photonew

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 26, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to the forum and am looking to get some lighting for a studio and possible travel to on site locations. I currently have the a230 Sony and would like some entry to mid range lights that will do the trick. Backdrop is optional. Any ideas?
 
2 Monolight with a couple of umbrella/or softbox with a couple stands, and a powerpack would do the job.

Take a look at Alien bees AB400, 800, 1600 and the mini vagabon. its good stuff for the money.
 
So you are thinking the begin B 800 for 350 and the vagabond mini for 240?
 
So you are thinking the begin B 800 for 350 and the vagabond mini for 240?


AB800 are 279 on the website...
Any flash head will do indoor, if you plan on shooting outside, get something powerfull enought to over power the sun, if money isnt an issue of course. The vagabon mini is really nice. I dont own one but i had the chance to test a friend unit and its small and has enought power to shoot 2 ab-800 for a long time. Its probably the best powerpack for that kind of money
 
Personally, i use 2 opus k250 and 2 lumahawk 600ws that i got in a local shop, they are mid quality strobes and does the job pretty well so far.
 
Also, look at used stuff.

Anyways, what's your budget? Elinchrom is mid level stuff, imho as well as something like the Alien Bee/Paul C Buff Einstein light, but you're looking at $500ish or so a light for a 500w/s-650w/s light. There's also the cost of modifiers and stands. Expensive lights on cheap stands is not comforting. With adapters and speedrings and everything, I've spent over $500 on a strip box and an octabox. I still need to purchase another strip box. You can buy cheap modifiers, but cheap modifiers may fall apart or just not look as good as a quality modifier. How are you going to carry everything? I spent about $300 on a Pelican case large enough to fit my packs, heads, and cables. That doesn't include a way to carry stands and everything else. If you're shooting alone, you need a way to carry everything.
 
I would like to be under $400 total, but understand if I need to spend more.
 
I would like to be under $400 total, but understand if I need to spend more.


For 400, i got my opus kit used.
2 monolight, 2 stand, 2 umbrella, snoot, barndoor and a large carrying bag. i was lucky.

for 400$ you dont get that much considering that CHEAP 150watt monolights goes for around 125$, you need modifier and stands.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom