looking for heavy tripod

popadoc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a heavy tripod. I am interested in night sky and moon photography and have had some trouble with light weight (under 3 lbs.) tripod's. I have tried different method's to add weight, but I still can not get the stability I need. I am using a Canon T3i with either a 18-55mm or 55-250mm (for the time being) and a wireless remote. Any thoughts on a tripod that would good for this type of photography? Thanks

Popa

Like all gear questions, knowing your budget would be helpful. One solution that may work well (if you're a bit handy with tools) is to acquire an old surveyor's tripod and fabricate an adaptor to mount your camera on to it. They're by necessity VERY strong and stable, and if you can find one of the aluminum ones, quite heavy. They will also support a LOT of weight.

Sorry, I would like to keep it under $200 if possible, but I also know you get what you pay for.....most of the time.

Here you go. Resell the transit and that should give you at least $150 to put toward a good head. All you'll need is a half-hour tinkering in the workshop to mate them.

I'm running much heavier equipment than you but have extremely good use of my two tripods. I will use a 75-300, or mostly a 500mm Reflex and even my telescope tube 2000mm on my bigger tripod.

I got all my tri/mono pods on EvilBay, so if you like the used route there are good options from time to time.

I picked up my Slik 500DX with a 320 Ball Head for under $90. This is a very stable though light (AMT alloy legs).
On the "heavy" end I picked up my Slik Professional with 909 head for under $90 too - this is probably one of the sturdiest tripods out there but normally hundreds of dollars more.
Matter of fact my Slik 381 Monopod with 800 Ball Head was also $90

But the Slik 500s with a head are normally around $150 NEW on EvilBay. (varies dependent upon head)
The next up are the Slik 700s but those may be $250 with a good head

Watch out for general merchandise stores such as Walmart, etc as I saw a Manfrotto for $149 that, to me, wasn't anywhere as sturdy as the Slik 500 that I got. I'm sure each manufacturer's make really nice tripods, it's just trying to find that one that you really like and is affordable.

such as this new tripod
Slik Pro 500 HD w Pro 500 DX Tripod Legs and SH736 Head 615 501 049368700016 | eBay

Material Aluminium, Magnesium, Titanium (the "AMT" alloy)
Physical Features
Folded Length 27.4 in.
Height Range 25.7 - 65 in.
Leg Sections 3
Maximum Load 10 lbs
Weight 5.4 lb

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here's my Moon thread with Pic with my Slik 500 tripod
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/337050-moon-8-19-2013-a.html

One of the key factors too is the ground and not shaking it. When you take a pic even with a wireless remote don't move. My tripod is normally on my driveway which are those 10x10 slabs of concrete. BUT if I walk on it while taking a pic I can see movement. So don't move. You have to stay there because the moon moves fast when you are fixed.

And do it in RAW - it is so much more detailed than JPEG

Thanks everyone for your help. astroNikon, I have decided to go with your suggestion. The Silk Pro 500 w Pro 500 dx tripod legs and SH736 head. This tripod is almost double the weight of my old one. Looking forward to trying tripod on some night shoots. I agree on not moving while waiting for the shot to complete.

This may be a day late and a dollar short, but you might want to consider an older tripod from before there was a trend to lightweight units.

I still have my first tripod form the early seventies, a Quick-set Husky. It's now my studio tripod, with a lighter Manfrotto for the field. An interesting thing about the Husky is that it has an elevator crank, which is seldom seen anymore.

$Husky.jpg

Rock solid, built-in three-axis panhead, battle scars; will take a 4x5 camera in stride. Gear like this is available for a song, used. I just found three on eBay for $75-100.

Last edited:
And do it in RAW - it is so much more detailed than JPEG

You can export a JPEG in post processing. Of the hundreds of moon pics I've taken in digital the only ones that shows depth and fine details where the RAW ones exported to JPEG.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only tripod I have is what was, at the time, a cheapo Velbon tripod I bought new in the early 70s. All aluminum, quite strong, and has a small crank for up and down of the center shaft, and the good 'ol pan head, to which I've put a Kirk clamp on it for my L-bracketed camera. Works like a charm. I used to shoot with a pair of metal body Canon EFs with longer lenses on mounted to a horizontal bracket. So it's strong enough for just about anything. But it is heavy to cart around...I'm guessing 8-9 pounds.

Take a look at ebay...one never knows what might be available for a song.

The only tripod I have is what was, at the time, a cheapo Velbon tripod I bought new in the early 70s. All aluminum, quite strong, and has a small crank for up and down of the center shaft, and the good 'ol pan head, to which I've put a Kirk clamp on it for my L-bracketed camera. Works like a charm. I used to shoot with a pair of metal body Canon EFs with longer lenses on mounted to a horizontal bracket. So it's strong enough for just about anything. But it is heavy to cart around...I'm guessing 8-9 pounds.

Take a look at ebay...one never knows what might be available for a song.

Ironically I have a Velbon 1 which came with a Sony Camcorder that I bought back in 1989ish. I still use it today. it sounds like the little brother of yours as it's probably 3-4 lbs. It is sturdy and has little shake compared to the cheapos today. I use it mostly for remote flash now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back