Looking for insight on lens

LiveStrong2009

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, it really depends what you want to be shooting macro. If flowers and other sessile things are what you desire, then this will work as well as any other macro lens. If you are shooting bugs or things you dont mind getting almost litterally right ontop of, this will not be great. Youre going to want something 90+mm 1:1 macro for bugs and such as not to spook them. You can get the Sigma 105mm 2.8 1:1 Macro lens for $479 new, which is not much more expensive than that Tokina, even better on the used market. This is what I use and it is a fabulous lens.

Mark

I cannot see much use for a 35mm macro lens: it seems like a relatively new solution, in search of a problem. I honestly cannot imagine who was responsible for inventing the 35mm macro lens...seriously...I put it in the same league as the electric beer cap opener and the solar-powered flea collar.

I agree with Derrel. I would definately save for one with a greater minimum focusing distance. You will hate only having the short distance that the 35mm gives you. I have a 105 and am contemplating selling it for a 150 or 180..

Mark

Thanks guys, After doing a bit of research and reading some reviews, I made my decision. First of all, you all have me convinced to buy a lens with longer focal length. Secondly, the price of that item is only about 10 dollars cheaper than amazon.

Where do you buy used lenses? Anybody bought them from Adorama.com before?
With previous gear purchases, I have been impressed by the remarkable speed and service adorama has.

If you have a local camera store see if they'll price match. My local store match internet price on my 50mm but wouldn't on my 70-300.

I bought my 70-300 from Adorama with no problems at all and will use them in the future.

Where do you buy used lenses? Anybody bought them from Adorama.com before?
With previous gear purchases, I have been impressed by the remarkable speed and service adorama has.

Thanks for the feedback! Very much appreciated...

If you'd like to email me ([email protected]) I have a guide to choosing used lenses and what to look out for.
It isn't an Adorama thing, just something that a customer passed on to me a year or two ago.

BTW, if there is a lens you are interested in, I can arrange for some pictures to be emailed to you before you make a final decision to order. And of course, if you are unhappy with a used item, you do have 14 days to return it for a refund or exchange (and 90 days to return it for repair if required)

I bought my 70-300 from Adorama with no problems at all and will use them in the future.

Great to hear, thank you.

Thanks Helen, You will probably receive an email shortly.

Alright, I am changing the subject a little bit...
A zoom lens really is what I would find more useful at this point into my photography career. I could really use a bit of coaching on buying a good solid lens. My Budget is in the 500 dollar range. I intend on using this lens mostly for a trip to a few national parks.

2578A002 Canon Ef 70-200 F4l Usm Lens

That is the lens that stands out to me, any thoughts?

I agree with Derrel. I would definately save for one with a greater minimum focusing distance. You will hate only having the short distance that the 35mm gives you. I have a 105 and am contemplating selling it for a 150 or 180..

Mark

Hey Mark if you do want to sell it Im planning on purchasing one at the end of the month and am not opposed to buying used. keep me in mind K.

Yeah - I would pass on that.

Minimum focusing distance is 5.5" (that's measured from the film/sensor plane).
The lens is roughly 3" long, and the mount to the sensor is roughly 1".

That means to get 1:1, the front of the lens would only be 1.5" from the subject. That's pretty damn close.

The 35mm macro still interests me! But I'm a certified macro nut and so my viewpoint might be slightly bias in this regard. However even I still can't quite get my head round what you gain with this lens. Its slower overall than regular 35mm options and at 1:1 you really are pushing your luck if you want to work with insects. Its possible but not easy.

As for a good zoom lens the canon 70-200mm f4 L is a good choice. Its sharp (the f4 versions are often said to be sharper than the f2.8 at f4), well built and not too heavy. The only major upgrades to it would be the version with IS or one of the f2.8 options (for the f2.8). However those are going to be much more than the $500 budget you have. Consider them and look at their features, but if the $500 looks like it will work for you and your fixed to that budget then its an excelent choice.

Yes, 500ish is my limit. I am a college student, so buying something that expensive is a bit of a stretch even.

Does anybody have better suggestions for a good all around lens? Keep in mind that it will be used for landscapes, architecture, just about everything, however I do not do many portraits.

The kit lens is all I have at this point. It is an 18-55, but I feel that many times I need something longer.

The 'nifty fifty' AKA 50mm f/1.8 is hard to beat for the price. The 1.4 version would also be within your budget. I find 50mm to be a good general purpose length.

Not longer than your kit lens, but you'll get much better image quality out of it, and it's faster too.

If you want something longer, the 85mm 1.8 is also within your budget. It's a good lens too.

If you're willing to buy used, that would open up some more options.

Generally speaking, you'll get more bang for the buck with primes...

edit
The 70-200 f/4L is a great lens too. The price looks good - cheaper than I can ever remember seeing it.
That would probably be my first choice. Only down side is that it's kinda slow (f/4).

For $500ish you could either go with that, or the 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 (the 50 & 85 would be my second choice - first if large apertures are important for you).

Last edited:
I cannot see much use for a 35mm macro lens: it seems like a relatively new solution, in search of a problem. I honestly cannot imagine who was responsible for inventing the 35mm macro lens...seriously...I put it in the same league as the electric beer cap opener and the solar-powered flea collar.

Damn, I just bought stock in the Electric Beer Can Opening and Solar Powered Flea Collar Company. No wonder my 501K sucks!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a the price of a used lens, but Amazon has a new one for only about 50 dollars more. That is likely the route I will take. In a previous post many people mentioned chromatic aberrations and vignetting with lenses that have long zoom ranges like this, do you think it would be an issue with the 70-200?

Most reactions

Back