Looking for multi-purpose 35 mm SLR

I was going to suggest going with Canon manual focus equipment like an AE-1 at least until you get your bearings. You should take the time to get the feel for the basics. The automatic cameras like the Rebel really don't let you learn that. The computer thinks for you. You have no control of exposure or depth of field if you just click it over to the green square and shoot.

There's some really good books you can get. There's a good general photography book that's very well written by a guy named Shaw. He's got a bunch of books out and they're all good. You'll need to understand the relationship between the film speed, the shutter speed, and the F-stop so you can get the artistic effect you want. With the rebel, you'll run around and take nice snap-shots that are pretty well exposed. Try using it manually and it'll make you frustrated. My Mom has a Rebel and it always makes me nuts when I'm trying to over-ride the computer control for occasions like shooting over snow. Someone who is into Rebels will probably disagree with me. Maybe I should take the time to learn them a little better but there's no need for me to do so.

Also take into consideration where I'm coming from. I shoot a Toyo field camera and old Manual Canon 35mm slrs so you're going to get a different point of view talking to me than you will from most people. Who's right and who's wrong? Nobody. You just have to figure out what works best for your wants and needs.

Thanks, Feral Donkey. I'll check out the books.

Yeah, I was debating whether or not to go full manual. I intend to use the manual controls on the Rebel as much as possible. Knowing myself as I do, I'll probably get back to the basics with my next camera if photography holds my interest. I'm pretty anachronistic once I get a hold of a piece of technology and when I upgrade, it's usually a "downgrade."

Anyway, my T2 came today. I've been playing around with it. It looks to have more manual options than you're giving it credit for. I think at the same time it also allows one to slip into automatic, but I want control over my photos so I'll try and be as manual as possible.

Well, I'm gonna shoot some film this weekend, so I'll let y'all know my initial review of the camera.

T2 is a good camera, you can start a collection of EF lenses which you can use on a canon's digital body.

It shoots and it has the M mode and control of metering.

The cons are:
Dark viewfinder (compared to rob's contax for example)
Manual focus is impossible
The thing is plastic (I hope the mount is metal)
And a noticeable shutter delay

I know it's too late, but I'd buy the Rob's contax. A better camera with a better lens which you can later use on a digital body.

DFB said:
Hmm thanks for the last couple replies, but I've actually bought a Canon Rebel T2 and a 50mm prime lense. Thanks a lot for all the help, looking forward to 7-9 days from now when the body comes. Got the lense already... it's just sittin' here looking pretty.

That's too bad. I have an Elan 7E with a battery pack that i'm looking for a good home for.

I'm a little late to the thread but my 2 cents worth....

There have been some excellent suggestions given, especially the Canon models. FWIW, I would also consider the Nikon F series. Possibly one like the FM2n. A good quality camera, built like a tank and you can buy and use the newer AF lenses (have to use them in manual mode) but they do work just fine. Then if you decide to upgrade to a Digital in the future the lenses will work on your Nikon Digital as well so you don't loose that investment.

Canon is a great system but there is no backward or forward compatability between the older model manual bodies and the newer AF or Digital bodies regarding lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back