Looking for my first camera

Chronix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all! I come here in hopes that you all will be able to recommend me a camera. I'm not very knowledgeable in cameras, so please be patient with me. I know I want a DSLR, and I know that I will be wanting a decent zoom lens, and a lens for extreme close-ups for insects, flowers, that kind of thing.

I'm not sure on my budget, as I don't want to limit myself. I'd say I don't want to spend more than 1500 for all included pieces, but this is negotiable. I'm not here because I want to make money for my photos, but I rather enjoy taking photos, and I need something way better than my simple point and shoot.

So let the options start flowing, and I would prefer recommendations based on end-user experience. Thanks!

Read a lot of reviews from google. Read the million threads asking for a DSLR on here. There are TONS! Just go through them and you'll get a lot of people who have your price range and have been happy with the camera they got. If you want my honest opinion with your price range I would get a Nikon D90 Body and some lenses that will suit your style. But i'm a nikon guy so that's my opinion

Cheers,
<>Dylan<>

P.S: Welcome to the forum. click the link in my signature and read up. It will make our forum a better place.

Is the D90 too advanced though? I mean, I am just starting out, and I want a semi-user friendly interface so I don't get discouraged. Would you recommend buying used? What lenses? I understand that there is a wealth of knowledge here, but it's almost too insurmountable for me to sift through by myself. I know that it's a newb thing to not spend hours searching the forums, but I want answers now, because I want to start taking good pictures now!

in honesty, i hear the Nikon D60 is fairly good but from my own experience I use the Canon 450D (rebel xti)
it is fairly cheap (£450 or less for best price or the kit for about £470 ($773)

also when you say 1500 is that $ or £? or other?

anyway..
Canon 450D + 18-55mm
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro
that should do you to be honest... (if your only wanting pics of bugs and such)
i would also recommend a Canon 75-300mm USM III, i got mines for £45 off E-bay

i hope you ment pounds btw :p
as the above costs roughly (prices from amazon uk)
Canon 450D + 18-55mm £499 atm (but if you decide you dont want the lens you can sell it for £100 meaning you bought the body for £400 giving you a saving of £20 on the body although you can get the Kit cheaper sometimes, i got mines for £430)
Canon f2.8 100mm USM Macro (with hood and UV filter for protection)- £468.85
Canon 50mm f1.8 - £70 - £100
Canon 75-300mm USM III AF - £135

i also recommend buying UV filters for each (roughly £5 each)
which means it costs about...
£1225 at the dearest

Last edited:
I should have been clearer, I meant $1500 US. I've looked at the reviews for the 450 now that you mentioned it, and it seems like that would be a nice start for me. Also the lenses that you mentioned seem to be what I am looking for. Here is another question for you: Would you buy everything used? New body? New lenses? I believe the lens is more important, so should I buy new glass and a used body?

EDIT:

Well, after talking to some fellows from another forum I frequent, I have purchased a Canon Digital Rebel XSi. It comes with a EF-S 18-55mm IS, and I purchased a Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS Telephoto Lens. I imagine I will be happy with this as a learning platform. Any tips/tricks/guides are welcome! Thanks, and I hope to become a productive member of this community!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back