Looking for outdoor lighting

timputtick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Earlier today I was shooting skateboarding during light and wanted to make it interesting by adding a flash, my triggers and receivers only sync to 1/200 of a second, and my flash (jessops 360 afd) doesn't give out a very fast flash duration or decent amount of light so I had quite a lot of motion blur. I need some sort of strobe type lighting that's connected to a generator or something that has a short flash duration to freeze the action. If anybody knows of a suitable bit of kit please inform me, I should also say i'm looking at the cheaper end of the market as I've only been interested in photography for a year.
Thanks for your help, and if I haven't specified enough information please tell me, thank you.

If you are shooting with a d90 I would say pick up a sb800 or 900. You can shoot at faster shutter speeds with your camera. 1/200 isn't all that fast for sports. I know flash helps freeze but at 1/200s nothing cheap in lighting is going impact your pictures at that shutter speed and small aperture ( assuming its outside during the day.)

Edit.... If you want to go super cheap, pick up a used d40,50,70. You can sync up to the max sync speed ( if your trigger allows you) which should get you to at least 1/600- 1/1000s. second for the flash duration.

Last edited:
Thanks, whether this image will work or not i have no idea, but when you zoom in on the hands there's significant motion blur. do you happen to know which the sync speed is on pocketwizards or some other receiver and trigger so i can get a fast shutter speed? thanks

72984_3542458916482_1122732663_33317960_2022330278_n.jpg

timputtick said:
Thanks, whether this image will work or not i have no idea, but when you zoom in on the hands there's significant motion blur. do you happen to know which the sync speed is on pocketwizards or some other receiver and trigger so i can get a fast shutter speed? thanks

Theres different combinations but you said cheap... They are anything but cheap.
These have good reviews but I don't know if it's compatible with your flash ( it might be.)
http://amzn.com/B006TV12AG

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, it seems there's nothing in photography that comes under the category of cheap in all fairness, I guess it's time to get a Nikon Sb flash and a decent set of triggers and receivers. I think I'll still look into the strobe type lights, I've seen professional skateboard photographers using Lumedyne action packs. Which unfortunately are expensive.

timputtick said:
Thanks, it seems there's nothing in photography that comes under the category of cheap in all fairness, I guess it's time to get a Nikon Sb flash and a decent set of triggers and receivers. I think I'll still look into the strobe type lights, I've seen professional skateboard photographers using Lumedyne action packs. Which unfortunately are expensive.

There's ways of doing things inexpensively but the more you want from it, the more it costs. I've never shot sports but I would still imagine 1/200s is slow. Theres other options for mono lights that dont cost as much. Best way is to do your research and see what works for you.

The SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, and SB-910 are all Auto FP flash sync capable.

In daylight and/or direct sunlight you have to use Auto FP flash sync mode. (Page 195 of the D90 user's manual - custom settings menu e5}

The speedlight also has to be Auto FP flash sync capable.

the 1/200 X-sync speed of your camera is the fastest shuuter speed that has both camera shutter curtains fully open during an exposure. At shutter speeds faster than 1/200 one or both shutter curtains block part of the image sensor.

What Auto FP flash sync does is fire the speedlight multiple times during the exposure. The faster the shutter speed, the marrower the slit between the 2 shutter curtains, and the more times the flash unit has to fire to exposse the entire image sensor.

To fire multiple times in less than 1/200 of a second, the flash unit has to fire at substantially less than full power. Consequently, a hot shoe flash unit may not be powerful enough to be of use at fast shutter speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're photo is tiny and it's hard to see, but it looks like there's still a good bit of ambient exposure. If you're not killing of ambient all the way, no amount of fast lighting will sop blur. You'll always get blur if you're shooting action at 1/200 with ambient bleeding into the frame. The best way to do it is via composite. Shoot the subject by killing the ambient and then shoot the scene. You'll need a tripod and a bit of photoshopping skills for this.

Pick up an AlienBee 800 and vagabond battery pack. The 11" longthrow reflectors help a bunch too. I shoot snowboarding and skateboarding. Its about $600 for one light setup but they're reliable, durable, strong light, fast sync speed and not too expensive for the strobes that require battery packs. I use 2 of them and it's one of the best investments i've ever made. I would recommend getting the new 3.5lb battery packs they have if you're concerned about weight. My vagabond's weigh about 20lbs each.

Paul C. Buff, Inc.

Pick up an AlienBee 800 and vagabond battery pack. The 11" longthrow reflectors help a bunch too. I shoot snowboarding and skateboarding. Its about $600 for one light setup but they're reliable, durable, strong light, fast sync speed and not too expensive for the strobes that require battery packs. I use 2 of them and it's one of the best investments i've ever made. I would recommend getting the new 3.5lb battery packs they have if you're concerned about weight. My vagabond's weigh about 20lbs each.

Paul C. Buff, Inc.

Look into the Elinchrom Rangers eventually if you're making cash. They're actually weather resistant and much better than the bees for snow boarding.

Paul C. Buff, Inc.

Look into the Elinchrom Rangers eventually if you're making cash. They're actually weather resistant and much better than the bees for snow boarding.

The lights in my link beat the Elincroms, it was a big surprise

Paul C. Buff, Inc.

Is the lencarta light weather resistant? Didn't see that scanning over. Plus the Elinchrom has a faster flash duration. That's more important to outdoor sport photographer rather than weight and amount of shots on one charge, IMO. IIRC, Chase Jarvis shot with rangers while doing an REI ad campaign in Aspen where the weather was horrible. I wouldn't want to take a pack and head system out on location where there's a good chance it would get fried from water if it wasn't properly protected.

Is the lencarta light weather resistant? Didn't see that scanning over. Plus the Elinchrom has a faster flash duration. That's more important to outdoor sport photographer rather than weight and amount of shots on one charge, IMO. IIRC, Chase Jarvis shot with rangers while doing an REI ad campaign in Aspen where the weather was horrible. I wouldn't want to take a pack and head system out on location where there's a good chance it would get fried from water if it wasn't properly protected.

Not sure if they are water resistant but i have used one and they are good here's a link to the unofficial flickr group
Flickr: Lencarta Lighting
but if i paid that much i wouldn't use mine in rain (any make of light)

Not sure if they are water resistant but i have used one and they are good here's a link to the unofficial flickr group
Flickr: Lencarta Lighting
but if i paid that much i wouldn't use mine in rain (any make of light)

Getting your strobe wet can be a shocking experience. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back