Looking for Portrait Package Advice

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I normally just do weddings and sports.... I've done portraits before, but usually just for friends, and printing was usually just like a 8x10 or something...

For those of you who do portraits (for hire) I'm wondering what you do for printing packages? do you offer packages like the wal mart portrait studio does (for like 10 bucks) or do you just print what they need?

I've got a few portrait sessions coming up, and I'm just interested to know what people offer as packages and the cost of those packages...

What i've seen on some peoples sites here is the session fee, and then the option to buy the disk for $75 as an example... but what are you guys offering other then the purchase of the disK?

I'm transitioning to on-line print ordering (with Photocart). So far, I'm planning to have basic print sizes and they can order the prints they want (4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc.) I will probably still offer the images on disk (or maybe not, I haven't decided).

There's no reason you couldn't offer set packages with a certain number of prints at different sizes, it might increase your sales...but some people might just want to order specific sizes and numbers, without being constrained by the packages.

I offer both packages and the option to purchase individually.

eg.

Portrait Sessions
Family ~ Children ~ Maternity

1.5 hour sessions
20+ shots to choose from
All sessions include private online viewing

Package A
Online Viewing
Order prints a la carte
~
$85

Package B
1 set of 4x6 shots
3 5x7 of your choice
1 8x10 of your choice
~
$185

Package C
2 sets of 4x6 shots
10 5x7 of your choice
3 8x10 of your choice
~
$285

Photocart is an application that you purchase and load into your own website. It's basically an on-line photo ordering site right on your website...and you have full control of it. It has more options than I could even begin to list, it's quite impressive. The benefit is that the orders come directly to you and you can take it from there, in terms of printing and shipping etc. Busy photographers might prefer a more automated option.

There are plenty of hosting/ordering sites. I think Smugmug is a popular one, I know a few who use Collages.net. With these, you upload the photos to another site and then send your clients to those sites for ordering. Some even have an option to ship directly to the clients. This is really easy for you, but you have to trust their print quality and of course, they take a hefty chunk of the profit and sometimes have monthly fees on top of that. Plus, you are sending your clients off of your own site, which might seem less professional.

Check out Photocart HERE

would you look at that, i have a pro account with smug mug... I think they gave it to me a while ago because i work for a non profit organization.. cant remember

You might want to think about giving the files only if they spend up and over a certain amount of money.

You might want to think about giving the files only if they spend up and over a certain amount of money.

you mean if i decide to go with the selling online bit??? i assume this is because if people want big packages, the online host (i.e. smug mug) can make a lot of money off of my work?? I do have the option to increase the prices they set.. that way I to get a profit on the printing...

I use smug mug and I love it and my clients have loved it so far. They take roughly 28% of the profit. If you just set your prices knowing that in advance its really not a big deal. You can change the prices to whatever you want, that is totally up to you. I have to say I was more than impressed with the quality I got from Smugmug.

My system is $150 for a 2 hour session and then I upload photos to Smug and they buy whatever they like.

I would suggest not even offering the discs unless they bring it up....

Oh forgot to mention that you proof there order on Smug and then they are shipped directly to your client, takes a ton of the hassle off of you and its one less thing to worry about, lets you work on taking pics and processing.

I use smug mug and I love it and my clients have loved it so far. They take roughly 28% of the profit. If you just set your prices knowing that in advance its really not a big deal. You can change the prices to whatever you want, that is totally up to you. I have to say I was more than impressed with the quality I got from Smugmug.

My system is $150 for a 2 hour session and then I upload photos to Smug and they buy whatever they like.

I would suggest not even offering the discs unless they bring it up....

thanks for the info... they are mailing me sample print outs so i can see the quality... would you mind telling me what your prices are??? i've seen their default prices... but i'm wondering what is a safe amount to increase it by so customers arent complaining about the price, but also so I'm making a bit of money from the prints as well.

just a note for those who are thinking about using smugmug.. I've been looking into them for maybe an hour or so, and I'm very impressed. I have a comp Pro account (which means it didnt cost me anything) but they are still being VERY helpful (replying to emails within minutes) I would expect this kind of help for paying customers, but as I said, i'm not, these guys seem to be class A with customer service.

Well, they are (or will be) taking just about 30% of your profits ;)

Customer service is top notch, thats another thing to think about too, sometimes you get what you pay for and with Smug on my side I know that is one more + in my favor. You can cruise my portfolio there and see the prices if you like

http://echoesmarketing.smugmug.com/

I just got this thing rolling abuot a month ago, I will be increasing prices at the beginning of the year. I have to remind myself that I have only been doing photography since June but I think I offer a good service for a decent price.

Most reactions

Back