Looking for reassurance..

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wanting to buy a tripod and I want to make sure I'm making a good choice... This is a hobby for me, so I don't want to break the bank. $200 is my budget.

I found this on Amazon..
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-Tri...LQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1319250996&sr=8-14http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-190...TF8&coliid=I23PIJDOGX9EKN&colid=1SX1UM71TUEU7

This is within my budget and from what I've researched Manfrotto is a good brand. I have a Nikon 5100 and my largest lens is a Nikkor 55-300 mm lens. I don't see myself buying a larger lens anytime soon. I was a little surprised at how much tripods cost and I thought I would be able to get a decent one for under $100.

any input is greatly appreciated!! :mrgreen:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
why do you think you need a tripod? I was just wondering. Different tripod serves different purposes.

why do you think you need a tripod? I was just wondering. Different tripod serves different purposes.

For landscapes, taking portrait shots of my kids and shooting my daughter playing softball. When she plays at night the lighting isn't good, so I thought having a tripod would help.

See.. this is what I was afraid of. You dont need one for everything you mentioned. Your daughter will be moving around and the tripod wont do anything. The only time you need a tripod is when you are shooting a still subject in low light condition. You may use it for a landscape when dark, perhaps HDR. Or maybe do some motion blur.

For landscapes, taking portrait shots of my kids and shooting my daughter playing softball. When she plays at night the lighting isn't good, so I thought having a tripod would help.

See.. this is what I was afraid of. You dont need one for everything you mentioned. Your daughter will be moving around and the tripod wont do anything. The only time you need a tripod is when you are shooting a still subject in low light condition. You may use it for a landscape when dark, perhaps HDR. Or maybe do some motion blur.

So, should I not bother buying one or just purchase a less expensive tripod? I'm loving photography and I see myself doing more and more as I learn... My hubby needs an idea for my birthday present, so what do I tell him to buy me...LOL! Do you have any other suggestions for him?? He's very generous on birthday so I have to hit him up when he's in the mood to buy!! :mrgreen:

Buy a fast lens, that will help you with the game :). f/2.8 or faster. You are better off getting a monopod. That will improve your photos.

I don't know that I would invest THAT much money into a tripod for what you are looking to use it for. I have shot all of those things successfully without a tripod, or with my kit tripod that came in a package with my camera. I agree, go for a faster lens...it probably will be more worth it to you than that tripod ever will be.

I use my "cheap" tripod for the low light subjects and it works fine. Maybe if I was doing extensive work with low light photography I'd consider a more expensive one.

Ok, how much are we talking for a fast lense?? He's generous, but I don't think he would be willing to spend $1,000. :confused:

Schwettylens is right. Get a $15 tripod from Wal-Mart to start off with and put the rest of that $$$ in the piggy bank until you have enought to buy a constant f/2.8 which can run you anywhere from $300-6,500 depending on how close you can get to your subject ;)

First of all, list what you have right now (camera and lenses). Maybe we can help. Let us know the budge :).

First of all, list what you have right now (camera and lenses). Maybe we can help. Let us know the budge :).

I have a Nikon D5100 with the two kit lenses...55-300mm (F/4.5-5.6) and 18-55mm(F/3.5-5.6). My budget is $400-$500. I looked around a little and I noticed there are different brands of lenses out there that can be used with a Nikon that are less expensive. I noticed that you have a couple of them Schwettylens. Sigma and Tamaron.

TamiAz said:
I have a Nikon D5100 with the two kit lenses...55-300mm (F/4.5-5.6) and 18-55mm(F/3.5-5.6). My budget is $400-$500. I looked around a little and I noticed there are different brands of lenses out there that can be used with a Nikon that are less expensive. I noticed that you have a couple of them Schwettylens. Sigma and Tamaron.

I have the exact same kit as you and I bought a nikon 50mm f/1.4 - which never leaves my camera. There is also a 50mm f/1.8 or the 35mm f/1.8 that is a little bit cheaper than the one I have.

Sigma has a nice 50mm, from what I've heard!

Yeah I only use my tripod for landscape shots or if I'm trying to do studio like pictures. I love it but I think the lens MTV mentioned f1.4 50mm would be better to get first. Now if you're planning a trip to the grand canyon soon since it could be in your backyard I'd prefer having a decent tripod for the landscape photos. I personally wouldn't put my camera on a cheap $15 tripod, also when you get a tripod get a cheap $15 shutter release trigger to hook up to it. Good luck!

TamiAz said:

I have the exact same kit as you and I bought a nikon 50mm f/1.4 - which never leaves my camera. There is also a 50mm f/1.8 or the 35mm f/1.8 that is a little bit cheaper than the one I have.

Sigma has a nice 50mm, from what I've heard!

I take a lot of family pictures, so this may be the way to go... Does this give you nice bokeh?

I haven't done a lot of research on lenses... Are fixed focus lenses better for portraits? What if you have a fixed 50mm and a 50mm zoom, would you get the same results? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to all this!! :scratch:

Most reactions

Back