Looking for reassurance..

The bokeh you are referring to is the blurred background right? Well aperture plays a huge role and since this lens opens up to 1.4 it is, IMO, better then a zoom set at 50.

Oct172011_ACR copy by Aubree D. Photography, on Flickr

Don't mind the not so great picture. It's the only one I had on hand to show the depth of field you can get.

This is one taken with the 55-300 at 72mm f/4.5

You can get a blurred background with a zoom but the 50 is great for low light conditions. I would highly recommend getting the 50. Primes are usually faster and sharper. Since, you already have 2 kits lenses I would definitely go for a prime. I love mine. Like I said before, we have the same exact kit so....the d5100 isn't a great camera for higher ISO's (for low light situations) so its nice to have the 50 f/1.4.

The 50 f/1.8 is a bit cheaper in case you don't want to drop a lot of money.

You should have a 15-55mm 2.8 or something real similar. The 50mm kind of keeps you moving to get the shot because there is no zoom. But going from 2.8 to 1.8 is a big jump, when you look at the lenses look at the size difference of the lens and it will give you an idea of how much more light it will let in. The 1.4 will probably be good in a well lit area indoors, the 1.8 is hit or miss, the zoom 2.8 you will probably be shooting at a little higher ISO which isn't horrible but not ideal.

D5100 does not handle higher ISo's very well - causes a lot of noise/grain in images but you can fix it in an editing program - to an extent.

Thank you for all the information... I'm going to look at the Nikon 50mm f/1.4.

One more question...What does it mean when a lens is a "prime lens"?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The second link will not autofocus on the d5100 so i wouldn't buy that one!

I'm wanting to buy a tripod and I want to make sure I'm making a good choice... This is a hobby for me, so I don't want to break the bank. $200 is my budget.

I found this on Amazon..
Amazon.com: Manfrotto Tripod Bundle With Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod & Manfrotto 494RC2 Mini Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect System: Camera & Photo

This is within my budget and from what I've researched Manfrotto is a good brand. I have a Nikon 5100 and my largest lens is a Nikkor 55-300 mm lens. I don't see myself buying a larger lens anytime soon. I was a little surprised at how much tripods cost and I thought I would be able to get a decent one for under $100.

any input is greatly appreciated!! :mrgreen:

It'll do you for a while. Tripods are mainly for helping people formulate new combinations of swear-words and mutter darkly to themselves, on windy, frost-covered hillsides.

D5100 does not handle higher ISo's very well - causes a lot of noise/grain in images but you can fix it in an editing program - to an extent.

Really? I only had my D5100 for a short time before I traded up to the D7000 so I don't have any first hand experience with it regarding high ISO but it has the same sensor as the D7000 and it handles high ISO really well.

Just wanted to say that I do have that tripod and ball-head, and it is great. if you do decide to go that route, I think that B&H has a deal that includes a free tripod bag. But I'm in agreement with the above - I purchased this only after getting some fast primes.

I liked the idea of a ball-head with a pistol-grip on a sturdy tripod, but went into sticker shock when I checked the local camera shop for a Monfrotto, Giotto, etc. I was wandering around Best Buy one day and spotted the Sunpak 6600PG. I was astounded. It met all of my specifications and was only $52.00! I purchased it on the spot and have been very happy with the performance of this "budget" tripod ever since.

Thank you for all the information... I'm going to look at the Nikon 50mm f/1.4.

One more question...What does it mean when a lens is a "prime lens"?

A "prime" lens is one with a constant focal length--in other words, one that does not zoom. You "zoom" with your feet by getting closer or farther from your subject.

For the record, I also have the Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod and I LOVE IT, but I'd take more lenses over the tripod any day as Schwetty has suggested.

Most reactions

Back