Looking for recommendations: looking to buy

Luna44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to buy a used medium format camera. I am looking for recommendations as to make and model. I have shot on a Lubitel 166 and a Holga 120, so low end toy cameras for the type. I find the focusing of the waist level Lubitel tricky. I would prefer a compact medium format that is through the eye piece focusing. Image right way up with metering on board. For me I simply prefer this way of shooting. I am hoping to find a mid range as far as expense goes $500 -$800 for entire kit. I would love a Hassy but the price point is just too high once you add in all the needed accessories. The other piece is that is possible I would like to be able to change negative sizes, either through the use of masks or different backs. for example 6x6 or 6 x 4.5 . Does anyone has suggestions? Because I'll be buying used looking for a model that is easy to service/ repair and can still find lenses and what have you. Would consider a closed system that does not have interchangeable components.

Used Mamiya or Bronica systems come to mind. Mamiya RB67 is big and heavy but gives very nice 6 X 7 negs. The Mamiya 645 gives 6 X 4.5 negs. Both are readily available with some nice lenses in your price range on eBay or Keh.

I used Mamiya quite a lot for many years, so it may seem strange that I suggest you check out the Bronica. I LOVED the RB67 for portraiture, but I'm one of those guys that ALWAYS works from a tripod. They are a bit big for hand-held sort of stuff. I had three Mamiya 645s that I used for wedding work. They were OK, but I was never really in love with them. Seems all my contemporaries used Bronica and were quite happy.

Good luck!
-Pete

Hassy's (with all the accessories) can be had in that price range, if you are patient, persistent, and willing to go on an adventure. But anyway...

For that price you can get a really nice Rolleiflex 3.5. Either look for one thats overhauled or look for one at a flea market going for 300ish and send it out for a full CLA and work up. Plenty of people out there do this for a very reasonable price. I dont know of any formal inserts but I would imagine it would not be very hard to work up some plate for a different format although you will be stuck with 12 frames no matter how you spin it.

The mamiya stuff is great from what I have read, I dont own one so I cant really talk to it but system cameras are the way to go if you are serious about it.

I would focus least on the frame size as you will have plenty of negative to crop later down the line.

The Rollei t is a beautiful camera, but not very flexible. Look at Mamiya C330f/s (even 220f- not too much different) with interchangeable lenses, hoods, etc. I used these for years and love them. You can put a whole system together for under $1000. You could add a Rollei as part of such a system.

Used Mamiya or Bronica systems come to mind. Mamiya RB67 is big and heavy but gives very nice 6 X 7 negs. The Mamiya 645 gives 6 X 4.5 negs. Both are readily available with some nice lenses in your price range on eBay or Keh.

We just sold at our store a super clean fully functional Bronica with 80mm for $399.

We just sold at our store a super clean fully functional Bronica with 80mm for $399.

Amazing. Such bargains!

My dad and I shot some weddings in the past. I used Mamiya TLR and he had a Bronica SQA system. The Bronica was much more flexible for this purpose (mainly having preloaded film backs).

Most reactions

Back