What's new

Looking for some C&C on the composition of these shots

c_pass

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
189
Reaction score
4
Location
New Jersey
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these at this 9/11 memorial in NJ...

Let me know any thoughts..


Image1

c6b37a88.jpg




Image 2

4195df2f.jpg




Image 3
097fbe15.jpg





Image 4
af10e761.jpg
 
All of them have pleasing tones and set the mood quite welll. The first one feels to me like the strongest composition, the best geometric arrangement of forms. The second is the image I like best, the woman in the background connects the image to reality and places the memorial stuff in context. The last two feel too formal and centered up to be terribly interesting. Centering works sometimes, and I think it does give a strong formal feel here, but the lost visual tension is not, to me, worth it.
 
All of them have pleasing tones and set the mood quite welll. The first one feels to me like the strongest composition, the best geometric arrangement of forms. The second is the image I like best, the woman in the background connects the image to reality and places the memorial stuff in context. The last two feel too formal and centered up to be terribly interesting. Centering works sometimes, and I think it does give a strong formal feel here, but the lost visual tension is not, to me, worth it.

Thanks alot for the comments!
 
The "Ghosts" in the first image really add a unique aura to the shot. Very nice.
 
I like the first two for the same reasons as the others here, but I think both have a little too much empty space on the left.
 
Image three does it for me.

image 2 seems to distract me from the girl in the right part of the frame
 
SCraig said:
The "Ghosts" in the first image really add a unique aura to the shot. Very nice.

Thanks. I like this one alot also...

The funny thing is that I was actually mad at them that they walked into my shot, but then I looked at the shot afterwards and was cool with it... I took another one with them in it and you can fully see them, it doesn't have the same feeling



KenC said:
I like the first two for the same reasons as the others here, but I think both have a little too much empty space on the left.

Thanks! You could be right... I'll see if it works



cardonalj said:
Image three does it for me.

image 2 seems to distract me from the girl in the right part of the frame

Thanks Alot! If I could take image 2 over, I would have Change the depth of field so that she was out of focus...
 
Thanks Alot! If I could take image 2 over, I would have Change the depth of field so that she was out of focus...

Why not just wait until she's out of the FOV. Sometimes simply waiting can improve a shot.
 
mjhoward said:
Why not just wait until she's out of the FOV. Sometimes simply waiting can improve a shot.

I actually like her being in the frame, I just would just change the DoF so it focuses on the framed letter...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom