Looking for some help from computer gurus with internet connection issues...

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some of you who know me may recall that I just got a new system from Dell. Please withhold the comments on why or why not Dell is a good choice because that is not helpful. My system is running Windows 7, Intel Core i7 processor at 3.7GHz, includes 16GB RAM, etc. Lots of bells and whistles.

My home wireless network runs courtesy of my D-Link DIR-655 wireless router.

Here is my problem: I can connect to the wireless network with my new computer, but getting onto the internet is a different story entirely. In the early part of the day, I can generally connect to the network and to the internet at decent speeds, but later in the day (after 6pm) I can connect to the wireless network but not to the internet. The pages just load and load and never connect.

I have tried changing the channel on the router from 4 to 7 to 2 (the current channel) but it makes no difference.

The other problem I am having is that after the new system goes into sleep mode or I shut it down, when I get back on the computer I have to reconnect to the wireless network. So, going into sleep mode or shutting it down somehow drops the network connection.

I am baffled. Is there something special I have to do inside the new system to keep the connection from dropping? How do I connect to the network but not to the internet?

Any help is appreciated....Thanks!

What type of connection do you have i.e. DSL, cable, dial up, etc...?

What type of connection do you have i.e. DSL, cable, dial up, etc...?

2 boxes. The old one is hard wired via Comcast cable. The wireless network is for my Laptop and our cell phones.

The new computer system is supposed to connect on the wireless network.

Your wireless router must be hard wire connected to your cable router because that's the way it gets connected to your provider
This is a problem for Comcast tech support.
Get on the phone and complain to them.

Your wireless router must be hard wire connected to your cable router because that's the way it gets connected to your provider
This is a problem for Comcast tech support.
Get on the phone and complain to them.

The old computer is connected to the internet via Comcast cable. It works flawlessly with a high speed modem.

The new computer is connected to the internet via my wireless router. I don't see how this is at all related to Comcast cable.

I would try and ping the router from the new computer. If there is no loss then ping google.com and see what is lost.

I would try and ping the router from the new computer. If there is no loss then ping google.com and see what is lost.

I'm sorry--I have heard of "pinging" before but I have no idea what this means or how to do it. Can you please explain?

I can connect to the wireless router, and I can access the internet on occasion. But, as I said later in the day and up around 8pm or later, it just loads and loads and will not connect, or if it does connect it takes forever and a day...

I'm not sure I can help with Windows 7 because I've never used it before. I'm am not a computer guy by any means. I have a friend who is however and give me some help on a similar issue.
Assuming it is similar to other windows style platforms,

1. go to your start menu and use in the search line CMD (this will bring up DOS prompt)
other ways this can be done it to go to the start menu type run. This would bring up a dialogue box and you would then type CMD into that box.

2. Assuming you got into the DOS command you will then type, ping -t 192.168.1.1 (I'm assuming that this is your routers ip address as this is usually a generic router address) You can determine your router address by typing ipconfig in the dos prompt look for the line that says Default Gateway that is your routers ip address
What this is doing is sending packets of information to and from your new computer to the router.

3. After a few minutes, type in Ctrl c (This will end the test) This is going to show information on sending and receiving of the information packets. If you have a % of loss then from that you can determine that there is a communication issue between your computer and the router.

4. If there are no issues with that then the next step would be to try a ping test to google.com
So in the DOS command prompt type ping -t 192.168.1.1

5. After a short time again type Ctrl c This will show you if you have an internet to router issue.

It is my thinking that if your wired computer is working fine then this probably has something to do with the wireless part of the router. If this is an older router it's quite possible that the wireless part of the router is starting to fail. I have read online that routers can start to fail in the wireless area as they age.

Again, I am not in any way in expert. There may be other things you can try. This is what worked for me last time I had a connection issue.

Most reactions

Back