What's new

Looking for Strobist Flash without an auto shut off.

I've got 4 yongnuo yn-460 II flash units ($45 each) and they work great for the price. They dont have an auto shutoff, and they stop down from full-1/64th, with 8 Mini steps of adjustment on each step (although the mini steps are awkward to adjust, and I've never really used them)

Not saying they are better than the lp-160, but you could have 3-4 of them for the same price.
I thought that the manual says they have a power saving mode, auto shut off after 30 minutes, and 69 minutes on S1
 
chito beach said:
I thought that the manual says they have a power saving mode, auto shut off after 30 minutes, and 69 minutes on S1

If they do, I've never noticed it. And I've let them sit for at least an hour before basketball games.

That being said, it's not an auto shut off that most flashes have, it's an auto-sleep mode. They wake up when you take another photo.
 
chito beach said:
I thought that the manual says they have a power saving mode, auto shut off after 30 minutes, and 60 minutes on S1

If they do, I've never noticed it. And I've let them sit for at least an hour before basketball games.

That being said, it's not an auto shut off that most flashes have, it's an auto-sleep mode. They wake up when you take another photo.

Its that missed shot that is usually the best LOL
 
chito beach said:
Its that missed shot that is usually the best LOL

Haha true that. I learned that the hard way with my sb-600 at a basketball game, before I realized I could disable it's auto off.

For the record, the sb-600 is a great little flash. You can find them used around $180, and they really work great for stronger stuff.
 
chito beach said:
Its that missed shot that is usually the best LOL

Haha true that. I learned that the hard way with my sb-600 at a basketball game, before I realized I could disable it's auto off.

For the record, the sb-600 is a great little flash. You can find them used around $180, and they really work great for stronger stuff.


At a GN of 98 it is a little less power than a lot of cheaper units. Im picking up a Sunpak 522 and 544 to play with for now, 522 and 544 is GN of 120
 
Nice, I'm sure theyll be good little units. I've gotta say though, for studio stuff, I've never had an issue with my sb-600's power. I mean, back in the film days when you were shooting iso 25 or so, power mattered. With base ISO sitting at 100 or, more often 200, power really shouldn't be a very big issue with flashes unless you're trying to fight back the sun. Just something to ponder.
 
Nice, I'm sure theyll be good little units. I've gotta say though, for studio stuff, I've never had an issue with my sb-600's power. I mean, back in the film days when you were shooting iso 25 or so, power mattered. With base ISO sitting at 100 or, more often 200, power really shouldn't be a very big issue with flashes unless you're trying to fight back the sun. Just something to ponder.

If power did not matter why do they make strobes at 50-1000 watt second?
 
chito beach said:
If power did not matter why do they make strobes at 50-1000 watt second?

For guys who feel they need to compensate for other areas of course! :P
 
chito beach said:
If power did not matter why do they make strobes at 50-1000 watt second?

For guys who feel they need to compensate for other areas of course! :P


Not true. I often run into issues and shots that I have to make due to lack of powerful enough lights. The stronger the lights the faster the recycle rate and lower settings that can be used.
 
In studio though? Are you shooting at like f22 with an nd filter on? :/

Generally my studio exposure for portraits is iso 100, 1/125th. sec, and f/8-f/11, at 1/4 power on my sb-600 for my key light, with 1 or 2 yongnuos on 1/8th power as fill/rim lights. I just don't see how they you could need more power in a studio setting. 1/4 power also gives me negligible recycle times, and about 900-1,000 shots to a set of AA batteries.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom