What's new

Looking for Strobist Flash without an auto shut off.

chito beach

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 30, 2010
Messages
605
Reaction score
17
Location
Olympic Peninsula, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In my LIL studio I am looking for a flash unit that is manually adjustable and has no powe saving mode or auto shutoff or at minimum about an hour. I am looking for a flash that I cn set and forget during a shoot for hair light/ overhead work
 
Not sure if you're looking for a speedlight, but I use the LumoPro LP160 and it's really nice. I do food photography with them and leave them on in my kitchen for 6 hours sometimes. I use NiMH rechargeable batteries in them, and have yet to kill a set in one session, even over 6 hours with >500 pops.
 
I know that with my Canon flashes, I can turn off the power-saving-auto-shut-off mode.
 
Not sure if you're looking for a speedlight, but I use the LumoPro LP160 and it's really nice. I do food photography with them and leave them on in my kitchen for 6 hours sometimes. I use NiMH rechargeable batteries in them, and have yet to kill a set in one session, even over 6 hours with >500 pops.
great to hear....I will place it on my list

Sunpak 555
not the best for what I need would be awkward to place on a boom and the price is on the high side

I know that with my Canon flashes, I can turn off the power-saving-auto-shut-off mode.
I know not all do only a few are programable.......which ones do you use
 
I use a 430EX, and I know that the 580EX has this feature as well. They are pretty pricey to buy just for 'Strobist' stuff, but if you shoot Canon, you might have them already and be able to turn it off.
 
I strongly second the LP160. I have 3 of them (and one 580EXII which I really hate using) and they are my workhorses. They're powerful and well-featured for a manual light, as far as I'm concerned anyway. The optical trigger is quite sensitive to the point that I can use it in daylight if I angle things properly.
 
I use a 430EX, and I know that the 580EX has this feature as well. They are pretty pricey to buy just for 'Strobist' stuff, but if you shoot Canon, you might have them already and be able to turn it off.
Nope I shoot Sony....... Thanks for the info ya never know when one will show up at a decent price

I strongly second the LP160. I have 3 of them (and one 580EXII which I really hate using) and they are my workhorses. They're powerful and well-featured for a manual light, as far as I'm concerned anyway. The optical trigger is quite sensitive to the point that I can use it in daylight if I angle things properly.
Thanks for the input also. After reading about teh sunpak 500 lineup they might work very well on a tripod and GN ratings of 100 to 160 @ 100 ISO.!
 
Last edited:
Sunpak 555
not the best for what I need would be awkward to place on a boom
It's got a built-in 1/4-20 mount in the base; what could be simpler?

...and the price is on the high side


~$50 is on the high-side? :confused::confused:

Was looking at new......LOL, I am researching them now and yes it might be the ticket.......and talk about ajustable full to 1/64th with 30 small adjustments between............very cool
 
I have a LP160 for sale in the buy/sell section of the forum.
 

Yeah, but Keith those 285's you've got for sale have old, weird photon generator units, and were salvaged from a hippy colony out in Idaho...they put out funky black light bursts of light, and they smell like incense, patchouli, and weed whenever they are fired more than 396 times an hour...ChitoBeach needs something new, and urban, and all that, ya' dig??? [totally made-up story]
 

Yeah, but Keith those 285's you've got for sale have old, weird photon generator units, and were salvaged from a hippy colony out in Idaho...they put out funky black light bursts of light, and they smell like incense, patchouli, and weed whenever they are fired more than 396 times an hour...ChitoBeach needs something new, and urban, and all that, ya' dig??? [totally made-up story]

Dude those would be the ticket for the next Photosynthesis festival!.......gotta gets me sum!
 
I've got 4 yongnuo yn-460 II flash units ($45 each) and they work great for the price. They dont have an auto shutoff, and they stop down from full-1/64th, with 8 Mini steps of adjustment on each step (although the mini steps are awkward to adjust, and I've never really used them)

Not saying they are better than the lp-160, but you could have 3-4 of them for the same price.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom