What's new

Looking for stuff that can take a beating.

Misfitsracing

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
Houghton, MI (two miles past the end of the earth)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Where I live I get the chance to explore a lot, and often I find myself climbing around forests and ravines, crossing rivers, and in general exposing myself and my camera to peril. I currently don't have a camera bag, so my DSLR lives in an outer pocket of by backpack, though there is no padding around that spot and I worry about it getting damaged on one of my (many) falls. So, I would like to find a case that would be suitable for my excursions. My requirements are pretty simple- It has to stay tight to my body, be rugged enough to survive reasonable impacts. I don't expect it to handle catching my 140lb weight from a 20 foot fall, just getting wacked by brush and maybe sliding down an embankment or two. Room for a spare lens, battery and 50' of paracord would be nice. Room for a couple packs of snack crackers and a water bottle would be fantastic. Any ideas?
 
Really the only backpack that I can think of is the style the motorcycle riders (Crotch Rocket Style Motorcycles) use. Some of them have hard casings that look like they will take a decent impact. Not sure if that is what you were looking for but something to think about.
Backpack at Motorcycle Superstore
-
Maybe put the lenses in a padded pouch style case that can also be put on the belt once at your location.
lens pouch
-
Food for thought, Shoot well, Joe
 
You can get a pack for your camera but if you're going through really rough terrain you don't need more luggage. What you need is a smaller camera that you can put in the middle of your existing pack.

Those I mentioned are small, not too expensive (the first two) and with good IQ. They also have the benefit of not suffering a fatality if you get them a little wet. If you're going specifically to shoot, get a burro. Really. ;)
 
I'm not typically out just to shoot, I just enjoy exploring. The only reason that I don't have it in the main pouch of my existing pack is that it is typically loaded- flashlight, first aid kit, cookware, fishing tackle, blanket and other assorted food and junk. I am thinking a smaller bag more suited to carrying just the camera so I can drop the backpack and carry only the camera stuff for some of the harder to get to shots. The durability of the film cameras is note something lost on me, but at this point it's not in the budget. Also, my apartment has a no burros policy. :(
 
I know, right? But utilities are flat rate and it's close to campus.

I wonder how it would work if I were to make a foam model of the camera and make a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell to protect the camera from getting crushed. If I did carbon fiber right, it would support my weight from a fall. Hmmn.
 
I know, right? But utilities are flat rate and it's close to campus.

I wonder how it would work if I were to make a foam model of the camera and make a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell to protect the camera from getting crushed. If I did carbon fiber right, it would support my weight from a fall. Hmmn.
Sounds like a good idea if you know how to work with composites and can get the materials without spending too much.

If you were to do that, I think Kevlar would be best. (I used to do a lot of composite work...) Carbon fiber ... I'm not sure how well it would handle the contours... It's been a while, but most carbon fiber things I can remember working with were pretty simple shapes - tubes and flat (or mostly flat - maybe a small contour) panels...

Kevlar will be pretty much exactly the same as fiber glass, as far as forming it goes, just stronger (and more expensive). Make your foam model a little larger than actual size so you can add padding to the interior.

Kydex could work too...

edit
If you use Kydex, I don't think a foam model would survive the process... Back in the day, I would have used aluminum or phenolic. Wood would probably work fine...
 
Last edited:
I know, right? But utilities are flat rate and it's close to campus.

I wonder how it would work if I were to make a foam model of the camera and make a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell to protect the camera from getting crushed. If I did carbon fiber right, it would support my weight from a fall. Hmmn.

Problem SOLVED!!!!!!!!!
 
I don't know how per se, I just muddle along, learning as I go. I have made one or two fiberglass parts for my racecar, and while not pretty, they work. Carbon fiber I have only made a few tubes for a model rocketry project. I will look into kevlar, but it's probably out of my budget. If I go this way I will probably use glass since I have some cloth, resin and hardener sitting on the shelf back home.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom