Looking into a new prime for my D800

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by CThomas817, Nov 13, 2018.

1. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Not Funny :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Strodav

Strodav TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Here's another vote for the 70-200mm f2.8 for portrait work. About the only complaint I see is the size and weight of all the versions. Because its a zoom gives you a lot of flexibility with composition and bokeh is excellent in my opinion. I bought the Tamron G2 version and am very happy with it.

3. D7K

D7K This is the right time.. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I Shot a 70/200 f/4 on my old Sony a7ii and it was great for portraits and can save a few $$ if you don’t need that 2.8. That being said, I’m currently looking at selling my sigma 50 ART and looking at the 70-200 2.8.....Come on! It’s part of the trinity! .... yeah I know, it’s just my GAS kicking in

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

4. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

The zoom I'd use for portrait work on Nikon would be the AF 80-200m f2.8, which is 300€ for the cheapest version (push-pull pre-D). Its slow and slightly noisy autofocus though and if your have an entry level camera body that doesnt have the necessary screwdrive motor, its manual focus only. There is no image stabilization so a monopod or tripod might often be helpful.

Two of my favorite lenses are manual focus only. Cant get anything else like that if I only wanted to use autofocus lenses. I would love to own some more manual focus lenses, too.