looking on craigslist and came across this ad..

rhall54

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
"I am selling some of my photography equipment. This is for a Versalight J-160 set of 2. Here is a description:

2 Versalight J-160 Unit with sync cord

2 Light Stands

1 White Umbrella

1 Silver/Black Umbrella

1 Black Case for all the lighting equipment "

Selling for 225.00.

is this a good deal? Does anyone have anything to say about this equipment?

New to photography, but wanting to get more serious.. so anything is helpful.

I don't know a lot about that brand of lights. However, most entry level lighting kits are around that price point. As an alternative, you could go tiwht the smaller and more portable "Strobist" setups like these for $150 or so.

thanks so much for the advice!

If you have not purchased anything yet or noticed that the price with strobe is almost double the $150 you could do a search for Versalight on Google and see if it would suit your needs.

The used setup you quoted seems like a better price, as it includes the strobes.
It also includes a carrying case so could be as compact as the other one. For decades I did portraits in peoples homes, and used just such a setup.

The price is probably right for what you described, but be wary as it is used I presume. Personally I wouldn't spend the money, even as an entry level set up, on such a low powered kit. From what people have told me and my own limited experience you're better off with something around 300ws for each strobe head and make sure it's adjustable. Go to this site PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT | PHOTO LIGHTING | BACKDROPS | STUDIO ACCESSORIES They would have something your looking for and I've had real good luck with them. Good luck.

If you have not purchased anything yet or noticed that the price with strobe is almost double the $150 you could do a search for Versalight on Google and see if it would suit your needs.

The used setup you quoted seems like a better price, as it includes the strobes.
It also includes a carrying case so could be as compact as the other one. For decades I did portraits in peoples homes, and used just such a setup.

yea, I've been on google a little bit this morning.

Since I've never bought any equipment I'm somewhat nervous to jump into it... I'm not even sure I'm going to buy anything just yet. Kind of just wanted to get an idea of what I needed and what a reasonable price range would be.

I would be wanting to do portraits inside or maybe outside at parks for now..

yea, I've been on google a little bit this morning.

Since I've never bought any equipment I'm somewhat nervous to jump into it... I'm not even sure I'm going to buy anything just yet. Kind of just wanted to get an idea of what I needed and what a reasonable price range would be.

I would be wanting to do portraits inside or maybe outside at parks for now..

If you buy something used, always ask that the seller to have the equipment set-up and ready to test before you buy it. Most people will be happy to do this for you if they are selling good gear. The ones who give excuses why they cant, stay away from.

Used gear can be a great way to shop. You will find many photographers who buy small lights, keep them for a year then move up to something bigger. So dont shy away from used gear, just shop smart.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back