Looking to buy my first DSLR, need some advice.

D40 or D5000

• D40

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Spend the extra $200 for the D5000

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters

krue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A little background, I own a 35mm Maxxim that I don't use much anymore due to the cost of film and processing. I need a digital camera and want to get a decent DSLR. I'm looking at Used Nikon | D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm Lens or Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Kit - Refurbished - by Nikon U.S.A. with Nikon 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX (VR) Vibration Reduction Wide Angle Autofocus Zoom Lens, - Refurbished - by Nikon U.S.A. . I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the extra $200 for the newer camera. I plan on general use and probably not gonna print anything over 8x10 or 10x13.

Why did you choose these 2 models?

Go used!! I was looking at spending about 800 dollars on a d5000 kit with two lenses, and i ended up spending 600 on a beautiful d200, with only 20k actuations. I would definately go used!! Do it!!

Is there anything wrong with the two I'm looking at? I'm open to any suggestions.

Is there anything wrong with the two I'm looking at? I'm open to any suggestions.

Not at all, theres never going to be anything wrong with the camera's you are looking at. I was just saying that you should go elsewhere for information.

Honestly, If I were in your position I would buy a used D40 body and save some cash for lenses/flashes etc. You won't regret it, glass is much more important to put funding towards. After you get to know the D40 body you will probaly know why you want new equipment and what your needs really are.

If its simply general use you are after start out small, if you decide to expand then there will always be room.

edit: I decided to pop them up on DXO (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/229%7C0/(appareil2)/331%7C0/(appareil3)/320%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Nikon), The D5000 blows the D40 away in image quality, yet the D3000 looks to be a good compromise between the two. Check out the link.

One more thing, are you sure you want Nikon? :lmao::lol:

I want a good camera at a decent price that doesn't take a genius to operate. I have the minolta so I wouldn't mind being able to use those lenses, but I haven't seen a minolta dslr.

Why did you choose these 2 models?
KenRockwell.com is where I came up with these two.

Sorry but KenRockwell is not a valid photography source for me. It may be to others but you have to look at his opinions like a little grain of salt compared to other credible sources.

Just my 2 cents. :lol:

Ken may be opinionated and like to speak like his opinions are fact but he has some great pages on nikon equipment.

I want a good camera at a decent price that doesn't take a genius to operate. I have the minolta so I wouldn't mind being able to use those lenses, but I haven't seen a minolta dslr.

AFAIK minolta lenses work on sony DSLR's, but someone might be able to correct/update me on that.

if the minolta lens have af than it will work on sony dslr

Krue,

If you don't mind buying Canon, a new T2i kit can be found for around $780 (before taxes)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back