Looking to buy photo editing software, need advice

rubbertree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Up until now, I have only used Picture Project to edit pictures, it came with my Nikon D80 and basically just for cropping, sharpening, and a handful of basic stuff.
I am ready to buy a software package that can actually do some things. Not Photoshop though, I am not about to spend that much on software.
Can you tell me which ones you like, what you don't like about your program, what you wish it could do, or if you think it is adequate for the job.
I'm looking at Elements, Lightroom, Capture NX, etc.
Thank you.

Most here will likely recommend Elements, but I am a long-time user of Paintshop Pro. I just picked up PSP X2 not too long ago (same price as Elements), and I love it.

Try the lightroom2 beta it looks like a nice upgrade from an already good product.

I will research Paintshop Pro as well, thank you.
Lightroom has already upgraded? didn't know that. thanks.

Or if you dont mind looking a bit, you could look for an older version of photoshop, cs1 and cs2 can be had for pretty cheap on ebay and amazon, then if you do ever decide you want the latest and greatest you can upgrade for cheap too. Other then that i do like paintshoppro, never used photoshop elements though.

It hasn't been. It's still in beta. I second the Lightroom idea. Use the try before you buy feature and see if it suits your needs.

For really gritty photoshop type work, but without the cost have a look at GIMP www.gimp.org. It's a free "photoshop alternative". The quotes indicate it's often marketed as such but I feel it has a long way to go yet. Still a great product for the price concious.

I often use Elements, but for quick edits, i also have LightZone which works really well for lighting etc. Cloning ain't the best, but it will do in a pinch.

I also believe highly in Aperture for mac folks

it depends on what you want. for pure editing, i guess elements if you don't want to spend a lot. if you're looking for a whole photo-processing system, i highly recommend lightroom. it has really good basic editing built in (more than you'd think), and makes workflows a whole lot faster

Most reactions

New Topics

Back