Looking to purchase a nikon d90. Opinions on this camera please

stone_family3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a huge purchase for me and I'd like some honest opinions of the camera please. TIA.

If you search here on TPF for threads or posts about the Nikon D90 and read the dozens (or more) of responses, you might even need to ask this question in the first place.

1. Its a great body, I recommend it to anyone.

2. I agree with patrick use the search unless you have a personal question about the D90 (ie. "this lens isnt working/I need help with my D90) Otherwise, ive seen about 50-80 D90 threads.

3. If your going to ask a question give us something else, is this your first DSLR? Obviously the camera is great but the question is will it suit you?

Good luck, I hope that helped.

Yes this would be my first. I would be graduating from a nikon coolpix l18

never owned it, every post i have read about it has been positive.
go hold it in store and play with the menu and see how you like the layout. Then do the same with other DSLRs (Canon T1i would be close competitor, maybe a 50D?) and then decide.

Dont worry about other specs and aspects of the camera. Shooting "test" images in store won't really do much.

go hold it in store and play with the menu and see how you like the layout. Then do the same with other DSLRs (Canon T1i would be close competitor, maybe a 50D?) and then decide.

Dont worry about other specs and aspects of the camera. Shooting "test" images in store won't really do much.

Actually the 50d and 40d are it's closest competitors. The t1i is mainly geared against the d5000. I own the d90 and no complaints. :D

The Nikon D90 is an outstanding camera, and comes very highly rated from consumers and reviewers.
You can't go wrong purchasing it.

Actually the 50d and 40d are it's closest competitors. The T1i is mainly geared against the d5000. I own the d90 and no complaints. :D
Yes, the entry-level Nikon D90 is so good, that it can compete directly against the semi-pro Canon 50D.

Why isn't the D90 Semi-Pro?
In my opinion, it certainly is. Definitely not Entry level.

Actually the 50d and 40d are it's closest competitors. The T1i is mainly geared against the d5000. I own the d90 and no complaints. :D
Yes, the entry-level Nikon D90 is so good, that it can compete directly against the semi-pro Canon 50D.

Nikon d90- 1199.99

Canon 50d-1129.99

All reviews I find are for people "choosing between the 50d and the d90". Also the d90 is considered a mid ranged dslr, not an entry level. So many things wrong with your post....

I've had mine since June and the only thing I don't like about it, is when I leave it at home! :lol: It's my first DLSR and I have no complaints. My wife and I picked it right up and started taking some nice photos. Like others have said, search, read some reviews, when I bought mine, I almost bought the Canon T1i. I borrowed my brother-in-law's D90 for a week and my mind was made up. It felt great in my hands, I was comfortable with the layout and menus.

Nikon d90- 1199.99

Canon 50d-1129.99

All reviews I find are for people "choosing between the 50d and the d90". Also the d90 is considered a mid ranged dslr, not an entry level. So many things wrong with your post....
That's just price, not features. Features and controls are what separates entry-level from semi-pro.

Can entry-level EF-S lenses be used on a 50D?

A D90, and it's entry-level bretheren have a 1/4000 shutter, the 50D and it's semi-pro sibilings, as well as Nikon's semi-pro stuff, have a 1/8000 shutter.

Until the recent changes (D3000/D5000) Nikon's entry-level cameras have had a 2 digit number: D40/D60/D70/D80/D90
Nikon's Semi-pro bodies have 3 digits: D100/D200/D300/D700
Nikon's Pro level bodies have 1 digit: D1/D2/D3

Last edited:

Nikon d90- 1199.99

Canon 50d-1129.99

That's just price, not features. Features and controls are what separates entry-level from semi-pro.

Can entry-level EF-S lenses be used on a 50D?

A D90, and it's entry-level bretheren have a 1/4000 shutter, the 50D and it's semi-pro sibilings, as well as Nikon's semi-pro stuff, have a 1/8000 shutter.

Until the recent changes (D3000/D5000) Nikon's entry-level cameras have had a 2 digit number: D40/D60/D70/D80/D90
Nikon's Semi-pro bodies have 3 digits: D100/D200/D300/D700
Nikon's Pro level bodies have 1 digit: D1/D2/D3

Wether it is "technically" or not is up in the air, as only nikon can say. Why not give them a call if your all that concerned? But as I see it the majority of people view it as a semi-pro model. Search through other forums, review sites, even amazon. Refer to it as a semi-pro. ;)

How valuable is 1/8000 shutter really?
I guess I judge "pro" by the quality of images capable first, then controls, and features following.

Most reactions

Back