What's new

Looking to purchase semi-professional camera

I have thought long an hard about upgrading to the D300 or D300s. I think there is ONLY ONE reason why: if you NEVER EVER EVER want or plan on going full frame.

The d300s is the best DX camera on the market. However, it's a DX camera.

I personally am going to get a FX eventually, but I feel it's better for me to right now gather up my lens collection. Once I have my 85mm 1.4 and some gold rimmed pieces, i'll go FX.
 
Do what Derrel and Big Mike said.
But, they forgot the first step.
First.....you win the lottery. ;)
The lenses you are considering will do you fine. Later, when circumstances allow (and demand), you can upgrade to the expensive stuff.
Then, KmH said, in part, "........photographic skill has little to do with having a successful photography business."
I couldn't disagree more. It is ALL about the quality of the photography. Those who hire photogs do not call back those with fancy promotional literature. They call back those who have produced great photography previously. That is how I got calls from Women's Wear Daily, Greyhound, magazines, and others. They called me, I never solicited.
And, those here who are gadget happy would be shocked to know just how basic most of my equipment was.
I had access to some real high end, specialized equipment but rarely used it. Fisheye lenses occasionally when I wanted to get weird and some ultra-long lenses on special built tripods for professional sports.
The best piece of equipment you need is that gray stuff in yer skull.
I concur the best equipment to use is the gray stuff.

You're right, I overstated my point. However, you were still in business so those commercial clients knew where to contact you. Quality images don't do you any good, if you have to sell all your gear to eat because you lacked business acumen.

There is also a difference between commercial and retail photography businesses. I suspect the OP is contemplating a retail photography business.


Thanks for the courteous response after my lashing. :blushing:
In a large market word gets around fast. I really don't know how some folks found me.
I was on the cusp of a serious fashion photog career. But, just after getting married, my bride told me to stay away from all those pretty girls. Ended that career path quick. :sexywink:
And, as mentioned, speciality equipment can be rented. A start-up has to start at the beginning.
 
^^
wow.
My wife would be getting my divorce papers if she would tell me that crap. If she doesn't trust me with shooting models, then.. why be married? thats a different story, though and total OT.

as far as the d90 goes.. it is a really nice camera. I do agree with a poster above who mentioned that d300 is more ergonomically pleasing. I love mine so far.. I jsut got it and everything seems extremely logical (whereas canon's cameras actually forced me to read manual).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom