Looking to take professional web photographs

tariqjamal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am interested in taking photographs for a website of items that are at a maximum of 36" wide and tall.

I am a beginner when it comes to photography, but I am looking to be able to take these photographs quickly, yet get good to excellent results.

I am considering a photo tent 48" and some lights. Is this a good idea? If so why kind of lights should I be looking for.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Note, I am looking to get a clean or almost clean white background, or clean black background on every shot, without having to edit the image.

If you have any recommendations on a Camera that would help (and would be EASY to use) I would also appreciate it.

Thanks.

I love these....How do I become a "Pro in a day". It's not about the camera & equipment....It's about experience, and it doesn't come easily, cheaply, or quickly.

Edit: Came back and re-read my post, and while it sounds a bit crass, I'm really not meaning to be rude....but we see a lot of this. Serious photography is a lifetime endevour, not something that can be learned by purchasing equipment, setting it up in a room, and expecting " good to excellent results".

Last edited:
I am a beginner when it comes to photography, but I am looking to be able to take these photographs quickly, yet get good to excellent results.

As long as by quickly you mean measured in years, or as long as by good you mean "better than the guy next door who just bought his first camera, a $5 disposable", OK! We can work with that!

I am considering a photo tent 48" and some lights. Is this a good idea? If so why kind of lights should I be looking for.

Well are you more comfortable with flash or regular lights? Does heat from the lights factor in to where and how you will be taking the shots? Color or B&W? Digital or film/slide? Do you already have reflectors? Are you looking more towards a DSLR or P&S? Will the tent you are looking at sit on the table or floor? Do you already have stands for the lights? Will you have AC power or need them to run off batteries? What is your budget for this?

Allan

Here's a site that might help:

Tabletop Studio

They have a store with everything you'll need (aside from a camera), and an okay how-to section as well.

Often, when it comes to situations like this, more money and time (and more money again, becuase time *is* money), is wasted. I would suggest that the people that want these kinds of photos not cheap out and hire a professional photographer who would give them excellent results in a day (if all items were there), instead of asking someone to take months before they are able to get mediocre commercial results.

How important are the shots to them? If they want it for free or nearly so... obviously not very important.

Please answer this for me, What type of products will you be photographing?
...I am looking to be able to take these photographs quickly, yet get good to excellent results.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, it's not going to happen with your experience. And what you will perceive as "excellent" will not be the same as what an experienced product shooter will perceive as "excellent".
...I am looking to get a clean or almost clean white background, or clean black background on every shot,...
You can look all you want but again it's not going to happen. You're questions show the lack of knowledge that you have about photography. I'm here to tell you that It's not a plug and go system.
...considering a photo tent 48" and some lights. Is this a good idea?...
95% of the time you will not get excellent results with a light tent. With lighting moving the diffusion material is key in producing excellent results.

...recommendations on a Camera that would help (and would be EASY to use)...
Again, for all we know you've never picked up a camera before, you need to answer this one on your own.

It sounds like you need to sub the photography out, hire a pro.

How about a Canon 1DSmk3 and a 50mmF1.2, 85mmF1.2 :lmao:, pro photo lights,
This sounds about right. Although Alienbees and nice big softboxes would probably suffice if he wants to save some money. He'll also need some Pocket Wizards.

This sounds about right. Although Alienbees and nice big softboxes would probably suffice if he wants to save some money. He'll also need some Pocket Wizards.

No he wants to be a pro in a day so he might as well go straight to the pro gear

Most reactions

New Topics

Back