Looking to upgrade my gear but need advice.

SpikeyJohnson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have been running through a question through my head. I have specifically registered to ask this question. I currently have a D3200 which I bought not too long ago. It came with the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm lenses. Since buying the camera I have bought a 50mm 1.8g as well. Most of the time I shoot, I find the 50mm lens on my camera. I would consider myself an advanced amateur or prosumer and I have taken quite a few classes from highschool and college for photography, as well as currently being enrolled in classes. I'm even looking at becoming a professional photographer in the future. I like shooting "commercial" photos and landscape photos. In the latter I am finding my D3200 limiting and looking at the former type I see upgrading being helpful due to owning a SB-700 flash as well.

Since buying my D3200 I have found my self at several "bottlenecks". Most of these haven't been to do with lenses as much as functionality of my camera. These reason's include

High speed sync (daylight portrait work with flash),
Auto Exposure Bracketing (Effects almost everything I do because I normally bracket photos anyways),
LCD display (I have used D80's and D90's and love the top display) It is much easier to use than to start up my main display (I have it to stay off unless I ask for the shot info or to view a photo I took),
Focus Motor (My family has a few lenses other than my own that don't have the motor's built in),
User Presets (U1 or U2 modes, it can be tedious to change settings between settings when I could set up presets),
Modifiable Function Buttons (not too may dedicated or modifiable buttons on the D3200)
No commander mode for flash (I would like to set up my SB-700 off camera and have the camera control it for product shoots, macro shots, portraits, etc.)

I think the list could go on. I have run into quite a few things which irk me a little but can be done manually, like a few of the listed items. I have also ran into limitations that can't be fixed by using manual mode extensively, such as high speed sync and the lack of internal focus motor. A main point is that I don't like to rely too much on borrowing gear and most of the time gear borrowing is not possible. I have been happy with my lenses up to this point and don't see as much of a reason to upgrade lenses yet. Many people would say to upgrade lenses first but I honestly can't figure out what is more helpful.

In your honest opinions what would you think would be the best option:

1: Upgrade my DSLR Body from the D3200 to the D7100 ( I have looked at the D7000 as well but might prefer the AA filter, resolution, and the 5 brackets in AEB)
2: Upgrade my lenses

I will most likely have a little over 1200 or 1300 dollars to work with (tax returns) which would allow me to get the d7100 or a few lenses. I'm pretty partial to the D7100 option because I think I would prefer to get it and have the extra usability of the camera and then save up for the great lenses or the "trinity" over time (I'm not much of a stop in the middle person when it comes to quality/functions of items and usually buy the best parts for my car and computers and have leaned towards the same for my camera needs). The second option doesn't seem as much of an option if I truly want to become a pro or market myself to shoot portraits for people. The d3200 I feel really limits me whereas I feel my lenses haven't done so yet even though they are some of the cheapest lenses.

I can also save up and buy "mid-range" lenses ($700 or less) later whereas I may not be able to jump to a D7100 in the near future.

Any advice, opinions, suggestions are greatly appreciated seeing as I'm stuck.

Thanks a bunch in advance and I look forward to contributing to the forum in the future

Edit: I should also mention I have the full Adobe Create Cloud which furthers my want to learn blending of bracketed images into HDR.

Last edited:
Just a couple of quick thoughts:
1) Re marketing yourself: Customers don't give a crap how much your lenses cost nor do they have any idea anyway and that information shouldn't have anything to do with marketing to them. Advertise with pretty pictures and services/offerings descriptions and then give them pretty pictures and treat them well, and they will give you cash and tell their friends to patronize you. Whether you accomplish those pretty pictures via a $3000 lens or via a $5 shoebox held together with duct tape and painted to look like a DSLR doesn't particularly matter.
2) You wrote a lot of words. Step back a minute. Think about, let's say... the two-three most important things that are currently holding you back from taking the photos you want to take (gear related OR NOT). What are those 2-3 smallest bottlenecks? Write them in one sentence. Then we and you can decide what gear, if any, if most efficient toward widening those bottlenecks.

Thanks for the speedy response. I would say the 2-3 bottlenecks are AEB, Flash control, and time spent adjusting settings.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like your know exactly what you need. The d7100 has the functions you need. Just to point out that the image quality between the d3200 and d7100 is similar. If you expect a massive difference you may be disappointed. Many reviews I have read say the difference between the aa filter removed and not is minimal. The d7000 is cheaper now but if it does not have the bracketing features you require and has less resolution it probably is a non runner.

What type of commercial photography do you engage in? Do you find your 2 zoom lenses to slow?, don't focus fast enough, not sharp enough or all. Many here with much more experience with Nikon will recommend lenses if they know the requirements

Sounds to me like your know exactly what you need. The d7100 has the functions you need. Just to point out that the image quality between the d3200 and d7100 is similar. If you expect a massive difference you may be disappointed. Many reviews I have read say the difference between the aa filter removed and not is minimal. The d7000 is cheaper now but if it does not have the bracketing features you require and has less resolution it probably is a non runner.

I agree with jaomul above ^^^^^^^^.

If you want a top LCD panel, better AEB options, and Auto FP-Synch,built-in remote multi-flash commander, AND an in-body AF motor to allow autofocusing with AF or AF-D lenses...you want a D7100. Those are the kinds of features the D7100 has because the price allows it, and the people who gravitate to the D7100 want or need or expect those types of functionality.

In terms of "commercial" photography, I have done a quite a few product shot's such as computer parts, jewelry, etc. Many of these have been for friends to sell their items online and I have found that I really like the idea of moving further into that branch. My 2 zoom lenses I am pretty comfortable with but I think the main reason I leave the 50mm on the camera is just because after I bought it, I left it on the camera to learn how to use it and I just found it was so easy to see something, pull up the camera and be so close already to what I saw. I almost never pull out the 18-55mm because I solely use it for landscapes or architecture (not too much time for those these days), but when I do use it, I am always impressed with the shots regardless of it being a "kit" lens. I do break out the 55-200 a bit more than the other zoom but its mainly for farther subjects or angles that the prime cant reach or be used effectively.

In that case, yes, get a new body. I am not very familiar with the Nikon body lineup, but In Canon as a parallel example, there are a series of bodies that basically have all of the ergonomic features of the pro/full frame cameras, but are cheaper and are crop frames. For example, the crop frame Canon 7D is $750 used and has a small sensor, but 3 custom modes, the top LCD panel, the two wheels to control both exposure variables at once in any mode, etc. etc. Whereas the very entry level "Rebel" cameras do not have those things.

I imagine there is a similar distinction in Nikon, and that there is a pretty affordable option that will do everything you want out there somewhere.

The D7100 sounds like it is one such camera. And according to this thread: D7100 Bracketing: Nikon DX SLR (D40-D90, D3000-D7100) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review it does indeed allow exposure bracketing, in groups of 2, 3, 4, or 5 frames, and up to 3 EVs per step in those groups (I know he didn't say it didn't have that, just clarifying)

found it was so easy to see something, pull up the camera and be so close already to what I saw.
Btw, when I actually test this on a crop frame camera, I find that ~65mm is actually what my eye sees the equivalent of for framing shots "naturally" (hold up to one eye so that your other eye can see the same thing directly, and zoom the barrel until the image through the viewfinder and through your bare eye overlap at exactly the same size). The focal length where holding the camera up to my eye feels like nothing changed / like I just put a piece of clear glass with black paint on it up to my face.

From what you shoot it would seem a nice macro Lens would also be worth considering. Something like the tamron 90mm vc would double ad a nice medium telephoto portrait Lens as well as being sharp and capable of getting very close for jewellery etc

Btw, when I actually test this on a crop frame camera, I find that ~65mm is actually what my eye sees the equivalent of for framing shots "naturally" (hold up to one eye so that your other eye can see the same thing directly, and zoom the barrel until the image through the viewfinder and through your bare eye overlap at exactly the same size). The focal length where holding the camera up to my eye feels like nothing changed / like I just put a piece of clear glass with black paint on it up to my face.
I just tried this using my camera and found that I am about the same as you being around 65mm as well. That is definitely a great method to find that out.

Thanks for the advice so far. I think I had a little shadow in my mind telling me what I needed the most, which is probably why I had researched the D7100 extensively. It makes sense that it has the things I need, I just always want to make an informed decision. It really helps me to ask for people opinions and I think the help here has helped me convince myself on the right upgrade path.

From what you shoot it would seem a nice macro Lens would also be worth considering. Something like the tamron 90mm vc would double ad a nice medium telephoto portrait Lens as well as being sharp and capable of getting very close for jewellery etc

I have definitely looked at buying a macro lens as well and was happy to see they fall around or under $700 which is generally something I can save for. So I think after the D7100 that should be the next addition to my bag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back