What's new

Looking to upgrade my normal zoom. Help me out?

That would work, but I NEVER use the 28-80. I only use that since my 18-50 is a DX lens and I can't use it wi my N65. But that's the lase thing I'm worried about replacing. :lol:

Mark
 
I would add another $100-$200 to your budget and find a gently used Nikkor 17-55 2.8, I got mine for $800 in pristine condition.






p!nK
 
If I could find one for $800, I would jump on that in a minute. I can't seem to find any for less than $1000

Mark
 
There shod be an iPad app, I'm viewing on my iPhone right now from the app!

Sent from Erics iPhone! (2) Nikon D300 50mm 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8VRII, 24-70 2.8, 85mm 1.4, (2) SB900
 
What's the app you're using called?

Mark
 
If I could find one for $800, I would jump on that in a minute. I can't seem to find any for less than $1000

Mark

Just checked around, you are right. The prices for this lens have really shot up in the past year. If you are not in a hurry, you can check fred miranda.com daily and be ready to jump on one if the price is right. Also, keep an eye out on craigslist (thats where I got mine)

Seeing the prices right now, I would be tempted to let mine go if I didn't think I would miss it so much... it really is a workhorse lens.

FWIW, the photographer where I work uses a Tamron 17-50 VC HSM and seems to like it. He is shooting automotive shots in a fully lit studio. He has borrowed my 17-55 and says the color and edge sharpness is much better from it.






p!nK
 
Markw said:
What's the app you're using called?

Mark

Photoforum

Sent from Erics iPhone! (2) Nikon D300 50mm 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8VRII, 24-70 2.8, 85mm 1.4, (2) SB900
 
I might be a bit slow but I don't quite understand what you really hope to gain by going from a Sigma 18-50/2.8 to a Sigma 17-50/2.8. Are those two lenses so very different? Stabilization at those focal lengths is not that critical.
 
It's got stabilization and HSM. The HSM is a big thing for me, the AF of the lens droves me a little crazy now. But, that woulsnt be worth an additional $300. It's also supposed to be incredibly sharp and just optically and mechanically beautiful.

Mark

PS. The version I have is 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC D. Not the 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM (APO?) Macro
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom