Looking to upgrade my normal zoom. Help me out?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im currently shooting with my D300s and Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC D. Non-macro, non-OS. It's a great, sharp lens. I like it, but I know there is better out there. I can't constitute the Nikkor 17-35 or 17-50 at the moment, but I'm looking to find something else. I want to upgrade all of my lenses, I think it's about time tondo so, and I want to start with my normal zoom. Anywho, I'd love some suggestions! Preferably with a focusing motor so it will be quiet! The noise is kind of driving me crazy, even though it's not all that loud.

Thanks!
Mark

By the way, is there an iPad app for this forum? I heard there was, but I can't find it on the market if there is.

About the only things I can suggest better than your 18-50 2.8 is Nikkor 17-55 2.8 AFS DX or Nikkor 24-70 2.8 AFS if you want to stay with mid range zoom

Thank you all, but I'm trying to keep the price sub-$700. So, that puts basically all of the good, professional nikkors out of the running. How about the sigma 17-50 OS HSM? I hear that's supposed to be a beautiful lens, optically.

Mark

then yea.... the 17-50 may be a good choice.. given the budget. personally, i think the lens is too wide for me, seeing as it only zooms to 50mm at its most tele position.

Yes, but I need a lens in that range. I don't have a walk around lens. If I'm out and about with my camera, I carry my Tokina 11-16/2.8, Sigma 180/3.5, Nikon 80-200/2.8 and Tamron 2x teleconverter. I bring this Sigma too, but I'd like to find a replacement. I will upgrade the 80-200 to the 70-200I after I replace this lens.So, the limited zoom range isn't a problem for me. I need it, actually.

Thanks again!
Mark

Okay, so let me rephrase the question. Would you I'm not asking if the 17-50 sigma would be a replacement for my sigma 18-50. I'm asking if anyone would agree with me saying that it would be beneficial and logical to choose that lens as a replacement?

Thank you.
Mark

I hear the Tamron 17-50 VC is a pretty sharp lens. Not really sure if its an up grade from your sigma or not but something to look into.

I was looking into that lens as well, it's supposed to be super sharp across the frame and the zoom range. But, as is the sigma. Both lenses have slight fall-off and vignetting at the corners, but the sigma, for some reason, is extremely appealing to me.

Mark

The only worthwhile upgrade would be a nikon, which you can't afford. Perhaps you should add some more primes to your kit, the new 50mm f1.8 afs g lens is awesome.

I have the 50/1.8d. I think I still need to see some more tests and testimonials with it to justify the change. I was, however, thinking about adding the 85/1.8 to my arsenal. But, I honestly think I have more pressing modifications than to add more primes. This is my list, in no particular order:

Purchase Sb-800/900
Purchase R1 kit
Purchase Sigma 50-500mm or similar
Upgrade my current lenses
Purchase more studio equipment
Purchase an IR-only Nikon DSLR

So, I'm a bit frazzled all the time about what to do. I would use them all an equal amount, the Sigma 50-500 and R1 kit coming in equal amounts to upgrading my current lenses. I'm an eclectic shooter and I shoot alot. So I could really use it all

Last edited:
I have been extremely pleased with my Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS. It takes very good pics, and has great build quality.

That's great to hear. I'm leaning more and more towards going with that, especially since I found a small scratch (about 2mm) on the front element of my 18-50 (doens't affect image quality) this morning, and it's driving me insane already! :grumpy: :(

Mark

I have the 50/1.8d. I think I still need to see some more tests and testimonials with it to justify the change. I was, however, thinking about adding the 85/1.8 to my arsenal. But, I honestly think I have more pressing modifications than to add more primes. This is my list, in no particular order:purchase Sb-800/900Purchase R1 kitPurchase Sigma 50-500mm or similarUpgrade my current lensesPurchase more studio equipmentPurchase an IR-only Nikon DSLRSo, I'm a bit frazzled all the time about what to do. I would use them all an equal amount, the Sigma 50-500 and R1 kit coming in equal amounts to upgrading my current lenses. I'm an eclectic shooter and I shoot alot. So I could really use it all
So far the 1.8g is being rated higher then the 1.4g, and that says a lot!Looking at your kit, you may consider upgrading your 28-80mm to a sigma 70-24mm 2.8, or a tamron 28-75m 2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back