Looking to upgrade my Rebel XS

sarah936

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm thinking about upgrading my camera and looking at the Rebel T2i. Is there really that much difference or would I be better served to by a lens or two? Should I look at Nikon's instead? I'm just an amatur, but after taking a few classes, I'm really having fun.

If I just get a lens, what would you suggest? I have the kit lens and a Canon 1.8 already. As far as what I plan on shooting - a little of everything. I'm a new mom and I find my kids very photogenic.

Since you already got some gears from Canon, you may keep stay with Canon. T2i is a very good entry level camera, especially for ladies. The latest model from Canon is T3i, but no big change with T2i actually. Here you are some links for your reference.

Canon T2i + market price

Canon T3i + market price

Canon XS
+ market price

I have the XS, and I see no reason to upgrade, especially to one of those cameras. It does not seem to offer much more, considering how much money you'd spend.
But regardless of what camera you plan on upgrading to, I find its always better to buy good lenses first. That way, when you do upgrade the camera, you'll already have an arsenal of glass -- as opposed to doing it the other way around: spending money on a camera body, and then having non left for lenses.

Yup, another XS user here that sees no reason to upgrade to a newer rebel if you're not interested in video. Buying a nice lens will be much more of an improvement. You could get a fast zoom like the tamron 17-50 2.8, or a great portrait prime like the 85 1.8. You could also get an external flash to bounce the light. There are many options worth considering before upgrading your body.

In terms of an upgrade path, I'd suggest focusing on the skills first. Once you get to the point that you are bumping up against the limitations of your equipment, then you'll know what you need to get next. I'd suggest thinking about lighting equipment (speedlights or strobes, even basic things such as reflectors) because these can dramatically change the look and "shape" of the light on your subjects. After that, choosing an appropriate set of lenses to give you the angles, apertures, and focal lengths that are approriate to your favorite subject area. Finally, the body upgrade when you need what the upper-level bodies can give you.

How much do you plan on spending?

Getting away from the kit lens might really expand your horizons. I've heard that the 15-85 is a pretty good walk-around zoom. A bit "slow" at the longer end though...f/5.6 at 85mm means its very,very difficult to get good foreground/background separation on longer range shots (beyond 25 feet). Perhaps you ought to take your $1,000 and look into getting a carefully-selected set, or pair (set=3,as in poker, a set of Aces) of Canon or Sigma or Tamron single focal length lenses. A 90mm or 100 or 105mm macro lens, for example, would really be a nice, lifetime addition to one's kit, and will migrate forward for years to come. Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro, or Sigma 105mm macro, perhaps....maybe the Canon 28mm, or maybe the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for example. Something that gives you the opportunity to create images that have a real, substantial visual "impression" due to a unique combination of lens speed, focal length, and lens design. A wide-angle and a telephoto pair could be assembled for $1,000, and would give you two very essential lenses for now, and the future. Canon's 135mm f/2-L lens for example, puts a VERY,VERY decided, beautiful visual "impression" on the images it makes, due to its combo of longer focal length, high image magnification, and the speed and smoothness of the transition from out of focus foreground, to the in-focus depth of field zone, and then to the out of focus background. That one lens is worth saving up for an entire year for. SHOOTING with and making pictures with a lens for a whole year will teach you how a lens behaves across a wide spectrum of situations. Maybe it is time to pick a focal length, or two, one wider, on more-tele, and learn to "see" with those two lengths.

Most reactions

Back