Looking UP: Thomas Jefferson Memorial

Fantastic! I love this different and interesting angle on a much photographed monument.

I wanted to pop back in here, since I have been busy, to thank you guys for the kind words.

Appreciate it :)

That is wonderful! Was there last fall and there were soooo many people, it was hard getting a photo.
Any specs you can give us? Are you laying down or does your tripod do this crazy yoga stuff?

That is wonderful! Was there last fall and there were soooo many people, it was hard getting a photo.
Any specs you can give us? Are you laying down or does your tripod do this crazy yoga stuff?

The tripod wasn't in any yoga poses, but was set at it's lowest leg height with the camera facing directly up. The fisheye lens is what really creates this image and given the circular shape of the monument, they work well together.

• ƒ/18.0
  • 12.0 mm
  • 25 sec
  • 50 ISO

I am such a newb...when you say fisheye, is that wide angle or a lens labeled 'fisheye'?
I have the Tokina 11-16 and will have to try this angle!

Good to see your name pop back up! First off, I usually loathe these "looking up" shots done in big, old, fancy buildings. Most of them are thoroughly tedious and shopworn. But damn, man, this one ROCKS!!!!!!! This is splendidly done dude!

This is really great!:1219:

It bothers me that the lower left light (the white one) is out. There's soo much wonderful symmetry here... except for that.

Jake

P.S., I do like the image.

Yes, A fisheye used very well. As its not technically perfect (so to speak) the statue is positioned perfect for the shot. Very nice indeed.

I am such a newb...when you say fisheye, is that wide angle or a lens labeled 'fisheye'?
I have the Tokina 11-16 and will have to try this angle!

Fisheye is a type of wide angle but with much more distortion. The distortion isn't really seen here, since the building is round. The 11-16 is a pretty wide lens and it may produce similar results, but not certain.

Good to see your name pop back up! First off, I usually loathe these "looking up" shots done in big, old, fancy buildings. Most of them are thoroughly tedious and shopworn. But damn, man, this one ROCKS!!!!!!! This is splendidly done dude!

Thanke Derrel, appreciate the kudos. I know you're a picky one, so it means a bit more coming from you :p

It bothers me that the lower left light (the white one) is out. There's soo much wonderful symmetry here... except for that.

Jake

P.S., I do like the image.

I debated cloning the light onto the other side since I'm a symmetry type of person, but decided not to. Honestly, I wish there weren't chains in front of this monument so I could have gotten low enough to include all the quote walls in their entirety, but alas....that wasn't the case.

The other part of this image that bothered me was the burned out lights in the ring above!

Yes, A fisheye used very well. As its not technically perfect (so to speak) the statue is positioned perfect for the shot. Very nice indeed.

Just wondering, what technical imperfections are there in the image?
and thanks!

Most reactions

Back