Looks like I'll be the guinea pig for the Meike MK-910

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to dabble in the world of the better beamer or Harbor Digital extender for my birds. I asked in the lighting forum, but didn't get much response. The MK-910 is very new so there is no reviews yet. I think it is an updated MK-900 that includes HSS that I need for fill flash for birds. I don't have enough money for a big ol Nikon so I sent $145 to Link Delight via ebay. Cheap Meike MK910 I-TTL Flash Speedlite High Speed Synchronous for Nikon for Camera Flash & Accessories Online Looks like I purchased #13. If anyone here is curious I will share insight once the flash arrives. Can't wait to see how it performs..

Let us know how it goes.

Looks like a great value proposition.

It arrived today. Build quality seems very good. It throws off some serious light! It actually came with a manual that has 80 pages of English. The only thing I have figured out so far was how to turn off the very loud annoying beep! I like the metal foot, has ports for sync and external battery back (with covers)...If anyone wants any tests, let me know.. Just remember I don't have a ton of off camera experience :)

Wow.. i had to google "better beamer / harbor digital extender". Do you use this setup on-camera or off? I've seen a lot of crazy/cool off-camera monopod flash setups for sports... I think we need to see how your going to be using this sucker in the wild :D

I've got a Yongnuo flash, which I use quite a bit but not for birds, and I've also got a better beamer, which I've only really experimented a little with.

I'll be quite interested to see what kind of results you get with your setup. Maybe it'll inspire me to pull out the better beamer and use it more often.

I'm definitely curious. It would appear to be the equivalent of the Nikon SB-910. The GN is listed at 60, but I did not see if that was meters or feet.

being a fan of the yongnuo 568EX speedlights at $180 a piece, i am definitely interested in hearing how these perform!

I'm definitely curious. It would appear to be the equivalent of the Nikon SB-910. The GN is listed at 60, but I did not see if that was meters or feet.

It sure looks like one.

It even has the hotshoe lock ,, you don't see that on the other offbrands

It looks really good. I'm interested in its performance.

I wonder if they came out with the mk-910 because the mk-900 was overheating ? lol

Wow.. i had to google "better beamer / harbor digital extender". Do you use this setup on-camera or off? I've seen a lot of crazy/cool off-camera monopod flash setups for sports... I think we need to see how your going to be using this sucker in the wild :D
The plan is a flash bracket mounted to the tripod foot. I know MatthewO uses one quite a bit, so I might have to ask him a few questions...

I tried to figure out GN before I ordered it, but I couldn't figure out what it all meant. I know the LCD readout maxes at 16m, the same as the SB-910

It even has the hotshoe lock ,, you don't see that on the other offbrands
I wonder if they came out with the mk-910 because the mk-900 was overheating ? lol
So far I love the lock on it. That was very funny :)

Sooooo, I have never played master and commander with a flash. I know I can set up on camera as a commander, then I'm assuming I select a group? if I want to use this flash off camera. Dumb, question, but the flash has to be up on the camera? I also have a Sigma DG super that I can try to pair up for off camera, if I ever get smart enough...

The reason I picked this flash, was it was 1/4 price of the Nikon and it seems to offer hopefully at 85% and quite a bit more performance. Also it is capable of HSS which the MK900 wasn't....

If anyone wants to shoot me specific instructions on a test, I'm game :)

since no one else has replied .....
You'll have to set the flash to REMOTE

then on your d7100 you have to popup the builtin flash as it is the transmitter to have the other flash to flash.
then you can use your commander to vary light output.

At least that is what I recall with my d7000. I went quickly to my SU-800 (within a week) or getting my first flash.

But with what you want to do with it (assuming you mean birds in the wild versus inhome in a cage) ... you'll have to jump to a good brand Radio Flash transmitter like the Yungnuo 622N or Pocketwizard .. of which I have neither. I'm still using just my SU-800 which is an IR transmitter not RF

Most reactions

New Topics

Back