lost my gear yesterday :(

Jeff Canes said:
Check the pawnshops all over town; the person has to sell the stuff somewhere

Speaking from experience huh? :lol:

But yeah, it does make a lot of sense. The person who took your gear probably won't know what to do with it except to pawn it. Then you can actually track him down.

Just go to your yellowpages and call every single pawn shop you can find. I think for the amount you have lost, it's worth the trouble.

do NOT under any circumstance lead the pawn shop on about looking for stolen gear. They will NOT help you. If you do find it, call the police and have them go in.

Sorry dude,
If I were you I'd print up a list of specific info on all your equipment. I've got records of my stuff with serial numbers and descriptions. I'd print out the info and give it to all the camera shops or pawn shops that sell used photography equipment. I realize you live in a large city and it may be almost impossible to cover all the shops, but maybe some of your friends can help distribute the info. I'd also check ebay and classified adds in papers.
I'm really sorry dude. I hope everything is found and in good condition.

edited

Didn't realize other people suggested this already. Anyway Voods does have a point. A lot of shops are crooked and they probably knowingly sell stolen goods. They'd just be getting themselves into trouble if they helped you.
Maybe you could make it seem as though you're looking for a specific camera, such as the D70. You could ask them to call you if anything ever came in. It's just a thought.

You might also want to keep an eye on ebay too!

voodoocat said:
do NOT under any circums|ance lead the pawn shop on about looking for stolen gear. They will NOT help you. If you do find it, call the police and have them go in.

Voods is right - I used to own a pawn shop and although I did work with the police when dealing with stolen merchandise, my store was the exception, not the norm. Stupid thing is, even if you found your stuff, you would probably have to pay the pawn ticket amount to get it back.

The best way to get your stuff back is to file a police report giving them the serial numbers of your gear and any identifying marks. If you don't have any serial numbers or identifying marks, even if you find your stuff, it will be impossible to prove that it's yours. Ask the police to put out a notice to all pawn and stores with second hand dealer licenses. All pawn shops in California are registered with the Department of Justice and have to give certain records to the local law authority. Your state may have different requirements but I believe some of the rules are the same across the country. In California, pawn shops and 2nd hand dealers have to see ID of the person selling/pawning the item and take a right thumb print and log all serial numbers. They have to send an electronic copy of the pawn ticket along with the actual copy with the thumb print on it to the local police department (pawn and burglery detail) weekly. Anything that they buy outright has to be held for 30 days in order for the police to catch up with stolen property.

Good luck!

One of many reasons why I never let my camera leave my neck until I'm in a secure place.

Too bad my camera is worth SQUAT compaired to yours. Maybe next time some idiot will steal mines instead of yours :D

thanks everyone.

iv had to d othe whole go to pawn shops thing before, iv had several rather expensive violin stolen from my school.

i dont have any serial numbers for my cameras :( but i did file a police report and am watching ebay and some of the bigger used photo shops and pawn shops.

Make sure the police send out a notice to all of the pawn shops and any shop with a second hand dealers license. Honestly, most shops will tell you to pound sand unless they have something official from the police. It's amazing how the attitude changes when they have that memo on file.

Everyone - write down the serial numbers for all of your gear and keep it in a safe place. Having that information is the best chance you have at getting your stuff back if it is found.

im now wishing i didnt decide to build this seccond computer.... i could have a D70 for the price.... oh well maybe this will teach me to keep some money in the bank

Might be a good idea to invest in it. Ours is less than 20 bucks a month. We started buying some big furniture, but being the neighbours will prolly see someone trying to steal a 54" tv...:lol:

id just open a can of whoopass on the next person i see regardless of their innocence. :lol:

md

Hmm, do you still have the camera boxes? It may have the make and serial numbers.

Most reactions

Back