Low Light ... High ISO ... Exposure Compensation

Danna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I shoot night football and indoor volleyball, and usually shoot raw to help with PP.

Last couple of Friday nights, I've used iso 3200 to 6400 to give 640 to 800 shutter speed.
(Nikon 610)

I'm not too familiar with exposure compensation.

Question 1 :
Is there any way to use exposure compensation, to help get lower iso or faster shutter speed ?

Question #2 :
Do you use the camera's "high iso noise reduction" ?

I'll answer 2 first- makes no difference if your pp raw shots.

Exposure comp won't help you use lower iso or faster shutter speed. If you shoot ap priority exp comp will increase or decrease ss to make photo lifter or darker, if you use shutter priority exp comp will open or close aperture to lighten or darken shot.

Your d610 had very good auto iso in manual. Try selecting desired ss and aperture and put iso in auto and you may get lower iso on occasion

I'll answer 2 first- makes no difference if your pp raw shots.

Exposure comp won't help you use lower iso or faster shutter speed. If you shoot ap priority exp comp will increase or decrease ss to make photo lifter or darker, if you use shutter priority exp comp will open or close aperture to lighten or darken shot.

Your d610 had very good auto iso in manual. Try selecting desired ss and aperture and put iso in auto and you may get lower iso on occasion

Thanks jaomul

I'll give auto iso a try.

expsure compensation is a tool for you to override what the camera's exposure meter thinks is correct.

Last edited:
Thanks Traveler ... understand it much better now.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you. :bouncingsmileys:

I just read a reply in another thread that was 1390 words.
I'm just flabbergasted.

You both made me aware of things I did not know ... Thanks !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back