Low light indoor photography

mys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been asked to photograph a dinner event, which will be held in a poorly lit solarium at night. What lenses would you recommend for this? I currently only have a Canon 18-200 f3.5, but I'm looking to expand my collection. I can purchase an inexpensive lens before the event, or try out and rent one that's currently outside of my budget. Should I bother with a speedlite? I'm not sure if it would look good in a solarium, where the light will be bouncing off glass.

mys said:
I have been asked to photograph a dinner event, which will be held in a poorly lit solarium at night. What lenses would you recommend for this? I currently only have a Canon 18-200 f3.5, but I'm looking to expand my collection. I can purchase an inexpensive lens before the event, or try out and rent one that's currently outside of my budget. Should I bother with a speedlite? I'm not sure if it would look good in a solarium, where the light will be bouncing off glass.

50 1.4

I would think that a speedlight would be essential for this unless you have a pro body which will deal well with very high ISO; it's hard to say without knowing anything about the venue, but I would think you would probably need to be in the 3200 - 6400 range at least. You're right, the glass will present a major challenge, and I think that this might be one situation where a Sto-fen or Fong-dong style diffuser would be useful. As far as lenses, I think you're going to need the fastest possible glass; you don't mention which body you have, but assuming it's a crop-sensor body, a 50mm 1.4 (which would give you an almost 80mm equivalent FoV) would be useful, as would a fast zoom such as either a 17-55 f2.8 or 24-70 f2.8.

inexpensive glass won't get you the results you want. You'll need very fast, expensive glass or very high iso. If you have neither, get a flash and bounce it like it's hot

Rent a fast lens. Only good option.

You need better lenses and some lighting. One flash would be good. Two would be better. One on camera and one to the side. You can rent lights cheap. About $60 bucks with stands and triggers.

Most reactions

Back