What's new

Low light photography

CGnTtown

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 1, 2011
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Why can't Canon match Nikons performance in low light conditions and high ISO's? What makes the biggest difference for Nikon to prevail in this aspect over Canon? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this for me!
 
Nikons are just better in some areas than Canon, just like Canon is better in some areas than Nikon. As of now, Canon trumps Nikon in video performance, whereas Nikon is ahead in still image. As gsgary said, this could (and probably will ) soon change, in the sense that Canon will do some catching up.


All I know is, I shoot a D7000, and I dont start getting grain in low light until I shoot 1000+ ISO.
 
Nikons are just better in some areas than Canon, just like Canon is better in some areas than Nikon. As of now, Canon trumps Nikon in video performance, whereas Nikon is ahead in still image. As gsgary said, this could (and probably will ) soon change, in the sense that Canon will do some catching up.


All I know is, I shoot a D7000, and I dont start getting grain in low light until I shoot 1000+ ISO.

Well said.
If you know how to use your canon at high ISO's then you won't have a problem. Canon has it's strengths, Nikon has it's strengths...
 
Mostly it's because Nikon designs to maximize camera performance and Canon designs to maximize advertising hype.

Specifically the hype Canon has been pushing in recent years is megapixels. At the same time Canon leaves out a lot of features that are standard on Nikon cameras, like color-aware metering, and not having spot metering mode on their entry level cameras.

The more pixles crammed onto an image sensor, the smaller they are. The smaller they are the less light they can gather (smaller signal). The smaller the signal is, the more visible noise is relative to that smaller signal (shot noise).

Another factor that adds to the noise is heat, or thermal noise. A smaller signal has to be amplified more, making the amplifiers work harder, which generates more heat. (thermal noise)
 
Mostly it's because Nikon designs to maximize camera performance and Canon designs to maximize advertising hype.

Specifically the hype Canon has been pushing in recent years is megapixels. At the same time Canon leaves out a lot of features that are standard on Nikon cameras, like color-aware metering, and not having spot metering mode on their entry level cameras.

The more pixles crammed onto an image sensor, the smaller they are. The smaller they are the less light they can gather (smaller signal). The smaller the signal is, the more visible noise is relative to that smaller signal (shot noise).

Another factor that adds to the noise is heat, or thermal noise. A smaller signal has to be amplified more, making the amplifiers work harder, which generates more heat. (thermal noise)


This I never knew. Thanks ^^
 
KmH said:
Mostly it's because Nikon designs to maximize camera performance and Canon designs to maximize advertising hype.

Specifically the hype Canon has been pushing in recent years is megapixels. At the same time Canon leaves out a lot of features that are standard on Nikon cameras, like color-aware metering, and not having spot metering mode on their entry level cameras.

The more pixles crammed onto an image sensor, the smaller they are. The smaller they are the less light they can gather (smaller signal). The smaller the signal is, the more visible noise is relative to that smaller signal (shot noise).

Another factor that adds to the noise is heat, or thermal noise. A smaller signal has to be amplified more, making the amplifiers work harder, which generates more heat. (thermal noise)

Thanks KmH, it makes sense and it doesn't make sense. WTH is Canon's problem. I want to get the 7D so bad but Canon can't hold a candle to Nikon in low light photography. I can't decide to go with 7D or D7000. I would like to think that Canon could one day match Nikons performance in this area but maybe not. Especially considering the price difference between the two. It might be the wisest move just to join the Nikon camp and never look back.

dots said:

WTF? Maybe you could simplify all that for me....
 
I guess I am confused a little by your conundrum. You say you want a Canon 7D so bad....but why? It sounds like you desire good low light performance which you have found tilts your decision towards the D7000. This seems like a no brainer to me, but maybe I am missing something, as I often do.
 
jjparson said:
I guess I am confused a little by your conundrum. You say you want a Canon 7D so bad....but why? It sounds like you desire good low light performance which you have found tilts your decision towards the D7000. This seems like a no brainer to me, but maybe I am missing something, as I often do.

The Canons video performance is superior to the Nikons but the Nikons still performance is better. I am trying to figure out why Canon struggles with this aspect. I believe KmH had great info regarding this. Wondering if anyone else had insight.
 
Hi as a professional photographer I bought the Canon 5D mark 2 because of its amazing low light capabilities! It just blows me away. I can now shoot first dance without flash at around 3200! Maybe you are not using the best Raw converter. Capture One is way out in front with little or no noise at high iso. If you see my site at derbyshire wedding photographers you wont find any noise at all on any images some shot at 6400!. I was always of the understanding that Nikons weren't as good as Canon in this department. Maybe you could send an image to show the problems
Cheers

Dick
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom