Low light portraits

Peperone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi totally nubie to this site!! Wanting to buy a portrait lense which I can use in my garage if I set up a mini studio. Was thinking of a 24-70mm 2.8 but not sure if 2.8 will suffice or I need to go 1.8. I hv a Nikon D90 so not full frame. Any help would be great!!!

If you are setting up a studio, I'd assume you are using lights?
It's hard to tell you much of anything. I have no idea how much light you have in your garage.
The 50mm f/1.8 is probably the cheapest lens on the market and for it's price it's pretty amazing. Something that you can never go wrong having in your bag.
The 24-70 is a beautiful portrait zoom. It's one of the most popular lenses on the market.

I am also guessing you must be setting up additional lighting if it is a studio... If this is the case, Most of you portrait shots would more than likely be atleast F5.6 or even higher to ensure everything is in focus. Keep in mind if you don't have alot of room in your garage, therefor being closer to your subject (for a given focal lenght) Is also going to make your depth of field shallower, and therefor making you need a higher F# still.

Hi thanks for your quick responses!! I don't have anything set up as yet. It's all money isn't it?? I want so many things! I have an SB900 flashgun only at present. I am eventually going to get a lighting kit but again being an amateur have so much to learn. I have been told that the 50mm is great but might not be suitable for what I need and the 24-70 wld be a better range. It is just the fstop that worries me. Willis if I understand you correctly you are saying that I probably won't go as wide as f1.8 anyway so wld be better off with the 24-70? I am planning on doing animal pics mainly as we have a pet business and wld like to do an offshoot photography business. Is there any other lenses I shld consider?

First you want to have a budget. Second is to make sure you don't run over your budget. You said yourself very well, it is about how much money you want to spend. 24-70mm is a great lens but it would cost you around $1800. I'd recommend 50mm f1.4 which may better fit your need. You can use the difference to get a fairly good lighting kits and background system.

It's very hard to get a decent depth of field at f/1.8 if you are in closer quarters, so the chances of you actually using 1.8 regularly aren't so high. Actually, using f/2.8 regularly may be a problem depending upon how big your garage area is and how much distance you will have between the camera and the subject. Simply put, you need light.

you are right in that the 50 may be tough inside on your camera. It's pretty tight and if your garage doesn't have 20 feet or more between you and the subject you won't be getting in a whole body for an adult. It's awesome for children and head shots. I actually use my 70-200 very often as my portrait lens.

I think if I were in your position I'd begin learning about lighting. I'd add a reflector and an off camera setup for your speedlight. That will open up a whole lot of possibilities and you will probably not need that wide open aperture. There is a post going right now about lighting resources and the guys have posted some awesome web pages: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-photo-gallery/266036-lighting-resources.html

The sigma 24-70 is an awesome budget option. It's not the Nikon, but for it's price it's an impressive piece of glass. Definitely worth the $

I have heard good things about the Tamron 24-70mm from another photographer, although I have never used it myself... I think it will be my next lens

tamron makes a 28-75 and it's an awesome option that is also well loved. The Sigma has a much better build quality.

Thx guys. I am a bit put off by Tamron's as a friend had nothing but problems with his Tamron 18-300. Fixed numerous times and in the end up where he bought it replaced it with a Nikon and he has had no problems. Probably like every make there are lemons but this just out me off! Do you know what the f stop is at the 70mm end of the Sigma as I don't think it is a constant. Is there any constant ones in the same focal range that u know of?

It is constant f/2.8 on both the sigma and the tamron.

You haven't mentioned what lenses you own now. With the right lighting setup, you could use the kit lens and get nice photos. Most likely you'll be shooting in the f/5.6 to f/11 range anyway, so fast glass would not be a priority. During the interim, save and research which lens will be right for you. Don't forget you could probably find an online or brick and mortar rental source in Aussie. Also don't be afraid of used glass.

So my thoughts would be a three light setup with modifiers and have some reflectors, difussers, flags, etc.

Just my 2¢.

Good to know it is a constant 2.8mm. I thought I read somewhere at midnight last night it wasn't!! Must hv been half asleep!! Haha!! At the moment I have the kit lense Nikkor 18-105mm, Nikon 105mm 2.8 macro, Nikkor 70-210 4-5.6, kit 35-70mm 3.3-4.5, and the one I bought second hand last Chrissie Sigma 50-500mm 4.5-6.3. Good lense but only used a few times as so heavy!!! I love macro work the best and then portraits. What are ur specialties?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back