low prices because I'm starting?

Stanza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, here I go:

I studied photojournalism in another country without finish the career because I moved to Canada. Now I'm and starting all again. I'm making my portfolio because I want to start to take this like a job. My question is: Do I have to put a very low price for sessions for the fact that I am young and be just starting? If I have to, how much can I ask for the firsts times of sessions? the middle of the general prices? a quarter?

I already post some pictures here. Somebody can give me some advices or opinions? Thanks!

(Sorry for my not perfect english!)

Have a read of this thread here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-shop-talk/256940-ideas-getting-busier-i-need-help.html

in particular read the parts referring to prices; prices for services don't just come out of the sky; you've got to first work our your costs of doing business; tax and also your living and life costs so that you can not only support the business but also yourself. Furthermore you've got to make space for profit and insurance; not to mention equipment upgrades and the like.

Once you've priced up all that you've got to look at your market area - see what the local prices are, but don't always aim to undercut, it can work short-term, but can also undermine your future if you undercut to the point where the market value of the product you're delivering lowers as well.

EDIT - also don't think you have to start of working for yourself, you might well be best placed to take an internship/second shooter or other job under an existing photography company; learn the ropes of both photography and business long before cutting out on your own.

Hi Stanza,

Look around at your area photogs, and find several that you think you fall into a like category of. Base your pricing on that, but just make sure that you charge enough to have a legal business, pay yourself, and tend to your equipment.
Hugs!

Firstly, what type of photography are you planing on doing? You said that you studied Photojournalism....but that is a lot different from weddings, portraits, fashion etc.

Several year ago, I took a course from an old pro photographer. The course was about how to start being a wedding photographer. One exercise he had us do, was to write down things that shouldn't matter to the price we charge. We all wrote down things like; number of guests, number of bride's maids, etc. But what he wanted us to write down was 'experience'.
In fact, the point that he kept repeating was that starting out with prices too low, was the number one reason why people failed in this business.

Of course, you have to be good...you have to be able to back up your prices with quality work...but if you are good, then there is no reason to charge less, just because you are starting out.

Big Mike, yes, it is different. I posts some pictures in "the professional Gallery" called something like "Chilean reality" blablabla... That's what I use to do there, documental pictures, social reality, protests, etc. Here in Quebec I don't find NOTHING like that, haha, the reality from Quebec compared to Chile is absolutely different so I started "all again" but always taking in count my studies and learning by myself too so I am doing more of landscapes, portraits and people sessions photographies. Examples? here:

In my area the photographers are not too cheap actually, personally I think Quebec is a very expensive place... I already started to look how much the people

Firstly, what type of photography are you planing on doing? You said that you studied Photojournalism....but that is a lot different from weddings, portraits, fashion etc.

Several year ago, I took a course from an old pro photographer. The course was about how to start being a wedding photographer. One exercise he had us do, was to write down things that shouldn't matter to the price we charge. We all wrote down things like; number of guests, number of bride's maids, etc. But what he wanted us to write down was 'experience'.
In fact, the point that he kept repeating was that starting out with prices too low, was the number one reason why people failed in this business.

Of course, you have to be good...you have to be able to back up your prices with quality work...but if you are good, then there is no reason to charge less, just because you are starting out.

I agree completely. Leslie Spurlock started out as a (fantastic) PJ. She's actually the one that got me shooting. Huy Nygen, another fantastic PJ. (Who I was also honored to learn from). Both took very naturally to weddings because they are after all pretty much one giant PJ shoot. For that matter, portraits are getting really PJ now too. Anyhoo, both of them are freakishly insanely GREAT. And they both started out charging great rates.

It's funny, because Leslie was terrified when she first started shooting weddings. She thought pretty much the same way Stanza is. But I LOVE Leslie's photography. It's incredilble. It makes me cry it's so gorgeous.

Work smart not hard and get paid. Work less weddings for more money early on. Do a great job! Get there early and leave late. I would not touch my gear (If I had talent) for less that $1500 US. In today's world. "If I thought I actually had the "doing the job right" down." That's me, with an album of finished prints and all day coverage. (TODAY)

It just plain stinks, you have to look in the mirror and say I'm worth *Enter whatever price here* (If you can do that and not stumble your speech awesome) If not, you might just want to work as a 2nd shooter a while longer.

I'm pretty much retired now, but my average was 2400.00 (Package) I had many go into 4K plus. When rocking I did around 50 weddings a year. Not sure many (Some do and way more!) get that today. People really seem to be hurting and they are not living of the large REFI LOAN on their house. I think a lot of the regular joes from my day had a lot of "extra" fake unearned cash to invest.

Here - Here is a link of someone that is MUCH better than I ever was, not that I was bad. lol Look what he charges (how he charges) Work down to your breathing normally point as you quote ur prices aloud.

This guy, In my mind is worth more money than he's asking.

Ryan Brenizer — NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller. » "Work is Love Made Visible." --Kahlil Gibran

I
really hope this helps. I remember the days! I write about now all the time.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back