LOWEPRO CompuDaypack

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
anyone owns this backpack? do you think it is a good idea to buy something like this?

I often take my camera ona long walking/cycling trips. I feel much more comfortable with a backpack (I already have a photo bag, which I would like to keep for more formal shootings), and I need some place for a coat in the backpack. But I am curious if the photo part of this backack is big enough for my canon 350d and 3 short lenses + telelens? what do you think?

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/notebook_camera/CompuDaypack.aspx

or this:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Notebook_and_CD_Cases/notebook_camera/CompuRover_AW.aspx

you can't go much wrong with lowepro.. but it is quite expensive.

if those two are good for you .. well, depends on your gear and what exactly you want to do with it ;)

I personally would like it really weathersealed ...

I bought a mini trekker a couple of weeks ago, and that is large - the compu... backpacks will also fit a laptop, and they are quite bulky, if you don't need to carry a laptop, then I would go for the trekker.

In mine, I can fit a 70-200, 17-40, 28, 50, flash, 2 SLRs, 2 batteries, lens hoods, filters, memory cards etc, and still have room to fit a raincoat in the front compartment.

cost just less than £60

tempra said:
I bought a mini trekker a couple of weeks ago, and that is large - the compu... backpacks will also fit a laptop, and they are quite bulky, if you don't need to carry a laptop, then I would go for the trekker.

In mine, I can fit a 70-200, 17-40, 28, 50, flash, 2 SLRs, 2 batteries, lens hoods, filters, memory cards etc, and still have room to fit a raincoat in the front compartment.

cost just less than £60

Tempra and it is possible to fit there 70-300 mm? somehow? + raincoat? + sandwitch?

i don't need to carry laptop... I just need some separate space for private accesories, mobile phone, mp3 player, bottle opener... :p you know.. such things :)

I sell these bags and I own about 4 Lowepro bags. if you dont need the laptop part for the same money you can have either the trekker mini (well made) but just for camera gear or you can have the Rover Light (well made) and like the compu you can put jackets, food etc in the top, i have one as 2nd rucksack

problem with the compudaypack is its not so well made

mentos_007 said:
Tempra and it is possible to fit there 70-300 mm? somehow? + raincoat? + sandwitch?

i don't need to carry laptop... I just need some separate space for private accesories, mobile phone, mp3 player, bottle opener... :p you know.. such things :)

In the camera compartment, the internal measurements are about 40cm x 28 x 14 and it will fit a large lens and body down the middle - or at the side however you configure it.

so as long as your cam and the 300mm are less than 40cm long, you shouldn't have a problem.

You can fit a light raincoat in the front separate zipped compartment and possibly a sandwich - but not a lunch box or anything. As LP says, if you need more non-camera storage, then maybe opt for the rover.

Heres a pic I borrowed from the net of the inside of one (I have the same lens)

52624911.minitrekkerclassic_350dxt.jpg

lostprophet said:
I sell these bags and I own about 4 Lowepro bags. if you dont need the laptop part for the same money you can have either the trekker mini (well made) but just for camera gear or you can have the Rover Light (well made) and like the compu you can put jackets, food etc in the top, i have one as 2nd rucksack

problem with the compudaypack is its not so well made

what do you mean "not well made" ? did you hear about problems with it?

mentos_007 said:
what do you mean "not well made" ? did you hear about problems with it?
it feels cheap, not to their normal standards. Ive sold Lowepro since 1999 and never any problems with of the range but that one doesnt feel well made.

I have the compudaypack and I love it. I politely disagree with lostprophet - I think it feels very sturdy. I do however question lowepro's judgement in making them in those atrocious orange and green colors (I have the black one)

I also use mine for hiking/biking, and it's very comfortable. I also use if for everyday, since I like to take my cameras with me to work/school. In the photo part, I store:

F80 with attached 50mm lens
Sigma 100-300mm
Nikkor 35-80mm
KM z6 (you could fit 2 lenses in the space this one takes up)

Filters, batteries etc go in the large front pocket. The backpack part (or laptop part, which is what is use it for) is very well padded, but not huge. Plenty of room for my macbook, but I don't know about anything way larger. A hoodie or light jacket will fit in there, but not a parka or anything. One point that might be against the compudaypack - it isn't waterproof. It's weatherproof enough to take your stuff from say, the parking lot to the office in a downpour, but I wouldn't go hiking in the rain with it.

Hope this helps, Mentos.

W.Smith said:
Don't forget Tamrac!
They got more backpacks than you can wave a stick at! Saw at least 30.
Some even on wheels . . .

Uh Oh I hope we don't get into another Nikon/Canon Lowepro/Tamrac debate!!!

haha thanks for your suggestions!
I am afraid that I am daydreaming about my backpack... I'd like it to have plenty od space for my canon 350d + 70-300 + 50mm + 135 mm + kit lens + filters = this is phot part.... and plenty of space for a raincoat...sandwitches...small bottle of water... you know.. standart stuff you take for a day long trips to the woods, mountains, whne biking. also I would like it to be hard enough, becuase I'd like to take it with me when snowboarding. MORE... I'd like it to be rather small... i am a little girl and don't want to wear something too bulky on my back :p

the campudaypack looked great for me, but I have never seen it with my "eyes". only in the net. I don't have laptop and I am not going to buy one in the near future (I don't need it). but I could store some other things in the laptop part, couldn't I?

it would take folders / paperwork or a light waterproof coat, which would leave more room for FOOD :)

what about booze then?

if there aint no space for booze in that pack it aint no good for you!

mentos_007 said:
haha thanks for your suggestions!
I am afraid that I am daydreaming about my backpack... I'd like it to have plenty od space for my canon 350d + 70-300 + 50mm + 135 mm + kit lens + filters = this is phot part.... and plenty of space for a raincoat...sandwitches...small bottle of water... you know.. standart stuff you take for a day long trips to the woods, mountains, whne biking. also I would like it to be hard enough, becuase I'd like to take it with me when snowboarding. MORE... I'd like it to be rather small... i am a little girl and don't want to wear something too bulky on my back :p

the campudaypack looked great for me, but I have never seen it with my "eyes". only in the net. I don't have laptop and I am not going to buy one in the near future (I don't need it). but I could store some other things in the laptop part, couldn't I?

Now that's spooky! You almost described to a tee what I have in my backpack at this exact moment. I have a 350d with battery grip, 70-300mm, 50mm, 17-85mm IS, 1 lens hood and 8 filters in the camera compartment and a light coat, umbrella, sandwich, bottle of water and a small book in the top compartment. The only difference is it is a Tarmrac Adventure 7, http://www.tamrac.com/AdventureBacpacks.htm.

Now, with all of that in the backpack it is almost full, but this is my main carry around town, hiking and biking pack. I picked it because of the small form factor. The only thing that would concern me is the part that you said about snowboarding. I personally never take my 350 on the hill with me, that's what my point and shoot is for. But with the belt and chest straps this pack will hug you comfortably while you are on the go. Hope this helps...

I sound like a commercial! :blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back