Lowest Temp I can shoot with Rebel

Higgs Boson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Rebel XS to get into photography and to take to China over the next couple weeks (leaving Tuesday!). It looks like it will be around freezing in Shanghai but between -5 and 25 in Beijing. Will the camera operate properly in these conditions? Thanks!

In cold conditions your battery life will be significantly reduced. One trick is to take a least two batteries (or more) and keep the spares in a breast pocket or any other place where they will stay warm. Then as your camera battery cools and eventually gives out, swap it around. Later on once its warmed up again you might get some more shots out of it as well.

Further be aware that if you go from one extreme to the other (hot-cold) your lens will likley fog up untill it adjusts to the new ambient temperature. So you will have to wait a bit for it to defog at first.

Other than that I would say keep water/snow off the camera as best you can (since rebels have very little weathersealing) and shoot away

I was just out shooting not an hour ago in 24 degrees with my XTi. With windchill, it was more like 15. Camera worked just fine. Like was mentioned, battery life will be severely reduced, but other than that, there shouldn't be any issues.

I was out shooting the other day. It was about 10 below the day this shot was taken and 30 below yesterday morning. This was with 5DII and 16-35, but I subjected my Rebel to these temperatures longer than I cared to. LOL

Cyclone20bandw.jpg

Most reactions

Back