What's new

Luxury Watch Ad style photo - Would be happy with some feedback :)

ematic

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
Location
Great White North
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey folks, I don't post often, mainly because...well I don't know! I guess I don't like being on the computer too much!

Anyway, just thought maybe someone can give me any feedback on this image. I was trying to mimic those luxury magazine ad type photos, except I wanted to add some spice to it...so I have it a military feel with the brass casings as a backdrop.

I AM aware that the watch get's lost amongst the casings, but that was the idea. I did not want super clearly defined lines and too much contrast. Just enough that you can tell there is a black watch there, amongst the sea of brass/gold.

I tried to angle the face just right so no light would reflect off the glass, and just leave a clean black surface. The shot was taken using 3 speedlights and some homemade softboxes/diffusers. (I like to build my own gear :) )

I should note that this was my first time ever doing a properly setup ad style photo, and only my second time using OCF. :)

Anyway, let me know what you think. I am actually very happy with how it came out (after many shots and repositions of the lights etc). I am more curious to know what the pros think! :) (the only I could wish for is super shiny, scuff free brass, but I deal with what I have at home!)

fossiltiny.jpg
 
Last edited:
hhmmm..no one? Should I take this as "wow that's so bad I won't even comment", "meh, no need to comment", or "wow that's pretty good! Nothing to critique!" ?

:D
 
Lacks detail in the watch itself. OK, maybe not detail, but it's to dark. Doesn't "standoff" the background. Everything is in focus, so it's hard to determine what's the main subject. I know, I know, the watch is, but that was the best way to explain what I meant.
 
Ah! So what you're saying is that, it doesn't "POP" off the page at you, as the main star attraction in the shot, right?

Any hints? Would it be better to somehow have the watch raised above the brass background (via some small platform), and use a wide aperture setting to blur the backing and just have the watch in focus?

Mind you, I am also trying to go for that "nouveau" haute couture look - you know, the photos they have now that feature REALLY bright, non-diffused lighting on hipster female models etc. Not sure if you know what I mean, but its a trend I see in fashion photography now.
 
yes no pop or color saturation
 
I like the idea, but to me, the watch is lost among the shells. It could make a nice scene in an "I spy" book. ;)
 
Not doing it for me, how about standing all the .40 casings and just show the black holes of the casings as the background. If you are going to show them like this I would have polished them before using. I would put the minute hand near the Fossil name but not touching that way the hand leads to the name etc.
 
Two things to wrestle with here:
- the watch is blue, a cool recessive colour, against the casings that are a warm and come forward visually
- the brightest spots are in the shine of the casings and the watch is dark by contrast.

Both details work to flatten the image. I have an edit that I can PM you if you like, but I didn't want to post it because of the "Not Ok to Edit" tag.
 
if there was more detail on the watch face.. better definition of the hands and marks.. that would help to make it a much better photo. Maybe crop it a bit to reduce the "sea" of brass.. make the watch the primary object that way. Try a really narrow DOF, and make the watch razor sharp, and the brass just slightly out of focus.. again to isolate the watch more. Just some ideas...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom