M42 MF Lenses?

altitude604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
threemilesfinal.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately I've been browsing eBay and very interested in some of the interesting MF M42 lenses that are on there for pretty decent prices.

I know there's someone on here that has a couple, but I can't remember their screen-name right now.

Just wondering if anyone has experience using them on a Canon XSi body or something similar with an AF Confirm M42-EF adapter?

I'm not super affluent so the appeal of some fast affordable primes is rather appealing.

Currently looking at the Helios 44M4 58mm/2, Mir-1v 37mm/2.8, Pentacon 30mm/3.5 and Porst 35mm/1.8 as possible candidates to join my arsenal. :)

I've used manual focus M42 lenses on my Canon 20D, 30D and 40D for years to shoot sports and they work just fine -- if you don't mind manual focusing.

Sure, I'd rather have Canon auto focus L glass but with a wife and kids always in need of something, my money always seems to get diverted. In response, I purchased a series of M42 manual focus prime lenses (a 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, 85mm, and 135mm, all 2.8 and faster). I'm having a ball and once you get used to it, it works great. My photo keep rate is actually higher than with auto focus. I zone focus alot.

There are two adaptors, one with focus confirmation and one without. The focus confirmation adaptor actually works but is two to three times more expensive.

I am always on ebay trolling for more M42 lenses.

Good luck.

I collect takumar m42 lenses.... pretty good results when adapted to a Pentax DSLRS and m4/3rds. SMC have the latest coatings and resist flare and ca but are also a bit more sought after.

Hi I am expecting a Helios 44M-4 58 2 lens and an M-42 adapter for my Canon 50D any day now. I purchased it on the information and sample photos taken from the following link. The optics of these lenses are very good I have heard that they copied Carl Zies lenses during their occupation of Germany. They are however manual focus, for this it is easiest to use "Live View" as it is difficult to focus through your viewfinder, as it, isn't a split prism finder and you are looking at a very small image. Here is the link, I hope I was of some help.

Their is also more info in the manual focus at this site.

I'm sorry this forum for security reasons will not allow me to post links as I am a newbe on this forum. That being said if you go to fred miranda .com and do a search for "Helios" in the alternative gear and lenses forum you will find a load of information on many Russian lenses.

I've got a Helios 44m4 58mm f2 for about 2 weeks, and I pretty much love the lens on my Rebel XS. One thing you really have to remember is the manual focusing. I have a $10 adapter with no focus confirm, and focusing through the OVF is near impossible. Of course, you can get the focus 'about right', but you won't be using the full potential lens resolution, which in the case of my helios at least is pretty impressive. I shoot it usually in LV, with the 5x and 10x magnification. Not a very fun way of shooting with a manual lens, especially if you, like me, hate LV. But well, there has to be a drawback of such cheap lens, right? You can always get the more expensiv m42-eos adapter with focus confirm, which will probably make shooting with it much more enjoyable.

And one more thing - my Rebel generally has no problem with metering at f2, f2.8 and f4, but the more I close the aperture above f4, the more exposure compensation I have to set. At f16 my camera overexposes by about 1,3 EV with no exp comp. Maybe it's because of the cheap adapter, with no body-lens connection.

awesome! i was hoping for comments like this. :)

i'm probably going to get the AF-confirm adapter as i really do hate LiveView.

i've got bids on a Mir-1v and a Helios 44m4 on fleaBay right now.

between these positive reviews and the things i've researched, i'm all excited! lol

Yep - great way to get some decent primes...

I have 28mm, 30mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70-200mm, 135mm, and 200mm in M42, all used with the cheap no-contacts adaptor. Sure the focusing is a little more difficult, and on a 400d it's even worse as the viewfinder is tiny. No live-view, either.

But, they were cheap (mostly from charity shops in bundles with old 35mm cameras and flash guns). They are decent quality (some of them), and the wide primes are fast (f2.8). The 135mm is f2.8 and is great for gigs. I use a set of m42 macro tubes, too, and the teleconverters are cheap. The combinations are almost endless, including reversing the lenses onto the camera and onto each other for some interesting macro experiments. As they were so cheap, I have no qualms about "using" them...I am not so precious about them...anyway, most are built like soviet tanks!

I'd say go for it, have fun, and if you want to sell them later, you'll still get a few quid for them.

Just snapped up a Mir-1v 37mm f2.8 off eBay and an EMF AF M42-EOS adapter for it. Total of CDN$67 which isn't half bad from what I've seen.

Can't wait for it to arrive! Also a few hours left on a Helios M44m4... got my fingers crossed for that one too.

The Mir-1v arrived finally today! Just waiting for the adapter but took a couple pics of the lens itself. I'm impressed with the build quality. STRONG LIKE BULL! knurled metal grip on the rings and smooth as butter movement. this thing is minty.

_MG_4185.jpg

_MG_4188.jpg

I can't wait to get out and experiment with this one! :)

just got my Tele-Takumar 300mm f/6.3 in the mail tonight!

this thing is MINT! smooth and clean... the guy even had the pentax branded plastic bag in the original case!

_MG_4458.jpg

Front Cap

_MG_4462.jpg

Oooh... 12 blade aperture!

_MG_4464.jpg

The Back

_MG_4465.jpg

With metal screw-on Hood... it threads on like a silencer on a Pistol. lol

Hoping that tomorrow will be a nicer day to go experiment with this thing. It looks pretty mean on the XSi.

I haven't used the MIR..and the MC Helios can be quite OK. The 30mm Pentacon (actually a Meyer Lydith) is very good lens. Maybe the best of the bunch, and a nice focal-length for street/documentary pictures. It has nice contrast, color and sharpness is pretty good throughout. My fave Helios is the 44-2. They are plentiful on ebay and common in thrift stores usually attached to a Zenit SLR. The 44-2 has lots of contrast and saturated color, neutral bokeh stopped down around F4.

Lately I've been browsing eBay and very interested in some of the interesting MF M42 lenses that are on there for pretty decent prices.

I know there's someone on here that has a couple, but I can't remember their screen-name right now.

Just wondering if anyone has experience using them on a Canon XSi body or something similar with an AF Confirm M42-EF adapter?

I'm not super affluent so the appeal of some fast affordable primes is rather appealing.

Currently looking at the Helios 44M4 58mm/2, Mir-1v 37mm/2.8, Pentacon 30mm/3.5 and Porst 35mm/1.8 as possible candidates to join my arsenal. :)

Most reactions

Back