M51, the Whirlpool Galaxy

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Situated near the last star in the handle of the Big Dipper, and some 23.16 million light years from Earth, M51 is the larger galaxy, which is consuming the smaller galaxy, NGC 5194. Imaged last night from my back yard.

I've been enjoying astrophotography more and more lately. And hey, what better way to socially distance than to be under the stars!

Celestron 8" EdgeHD SCT telescope
Nikon D500
115 x 20 sec exposures at ISO 8000
Total integrated exposure of 39 min
Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker
Finished in PS

M51 061420.jpg

20200613_205027.jpg

Envy.

Oh how I would like to be in a place with less light pollution and humidity. A 20 second exposure here yields anything but a black sky. I'm hoping this winter at the lake cabin I can get something even remotely close to your results.

I have the same unit @ 6". Does the gigantic hood really help?

Yesterday I got the Sky Adventurer tracker and plan to take with me when I travel to clients in Colorado and LA. In LA I plan to take it up to Mt. Wilson.

Oh, and I can't blame only on conditions and equipment, I have a lot to learn.

Envy.

Oh how I would like to be in a place with less light pollution and humidity. A 20 second exposure here yields anything but a black sky. I'm hoping this winter at the lake cabin I can get something even remotely close to your results.

Yesterday I got the Sky Adventurer tracker and plan to take with me when I travel to clients in Colorado and LA. In LA I plan to take it up to Mt. Wilson.

Envy.

The dew shield is very useful. Unless you want to spend money on dew heaters. It keeps the corrector plate free of dew. I suppose if you live somewhere that has a very dry climate it may not make a difference. Where I am, dew starts to form almost nightly.

You'll enjoy having a portable tracker. I have the iOptron Skyguider Pro and its capable of handling my Nikon 200-500, or a small telescope if you have one.

That is just amazing! Terrific work on your shot, and the results are truly awe-inspiring.

You'll enjoy having a portable tracker. I have the iOptron Skyguider Pro

B&H was out out that model but the reviews for both appeared to be fairly equal. Got it polar aligned last night for the first time so now just practice.
I'm terrible at polar aligning with the polar scope, so I adapted a QHY Polemaster to my Skyguider.

Very nice image. Out of curiosity (I’m new to deep space objects myself), why such short exposures when you have what appears to be a tracking mount and guiding setup?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back