Mac mini on 47" LCD

Deific

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The set up of my house isn't really conducive for having a desk top, and honestly a laptop in my living room would probably get abused by my 3 and 1 year olds. What I'd like to do is run a Mac mini to my 47" LCD tv (5 years old) I believe the Mac mini has integrated graphics, my concern isn't necessarily if the computer is enough for my needs but will the tv and mini graphics combo work ok?? I'll be running Lightroom 4 for processing images. Thanks in advance.

There are many reasons not to use TV's as monitors.

TV's color profiles are designed for movies and TV signals, this makes them not accurate and almost impossible to tune to be correct for photo editing. The resolutions on current TV's (if you have a 1080 one) are similar to current desktop monitors. Now this sounds fine but when you stretch what normally is on a 21 inch screen to a 47 it doesn't look good at all. Its especially bad if your TV is only 720.

Do a quick google search and you will see what I am talking about.

The set up of my house isn't really conducive for having a desk top, and honestly a laptop in my living room would probably get abused by my 3 and 1 year olds. What I'd like to do is run a Mac mini to my 47" LCD tv (5 years old) I believe the Mac mini has integrated graphics, my concern isn't necessarily if the computer is enough for my needs but will the tv and mini graphics combo work ok?? I'll be running Lightroom 4 for processing images. Thanks in advance.

Your only going to have TV resolution not computer resolution on your screen. A 720p TV will give you a screen resolution of 720x480 and a 1080p screen would be 1024x768. A 13" MacBook Pro has a resolution of 2560x1600. I would have a real hard time editing photos on a screen with the resolution of a TV.

Why would you just leave a laptop out to be abused by your kids. It's a laptop it can be put away where they cannot get to it.

I've not tried that, but one thought that crossed my mind is; how close will you be to the display? Do you have a way to sit comfortably fairly close? I just checked my viewing distance and it measures 21" from my face to the screen (27" diagonal screen). You might find yourself walking closer to the screen to see details.

Thanks for the great advice I was afraid I would have some issues with the tv. As far as the kids getting the computer, "I" can put it away, my wife comes from a long line of "buy cheap replace often".

Most reactions

Back