macro equipement help.

dak1b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All!

I've decided to focus on macro photography because for one I love the perceptive you get with macro and how creative you can become. I ordered my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Auto Focus Lens a few days ago :mrgreen: I can't wait to use this baby!!!!

I was wondering what equipment I might need to improve my photography. I already have a tri-pod and external flash...what else should I look at?

Your help is appreciated! :thumbup:

Last edited:
With a tripod and flash you should be pretty much set... Get a remote if you don't have one.

Focusing rails are probably about the only other thing you may end up wanting...

With a tripod and flash you should be pretty much set... Get a remote if you don't have one.

Focusing rails are probably about the only other thing you may end up wanting...

any suggestions on what remote to get?

Also, if you don't have a way to get the flash off-camera - you'll probably want to look into that too.

any suggestions on what remote to get?

Canon | RS-60E3 Remote Switch - 2' | 2469A002 | B&H Photo Video
(This is the remote listed in the specs of the 1000D)

...I don't think the wireless one is compatible with your camera... The 1000D isn't listed in the compatible cameras anyway. Might still work, I'm not sure... Does your camera have an IR receiver? Should be a red plastic window somewhere on the grip.

so this: Remote Switch Cord for Canon 400D/450D/1000D RS-60E3 - eBay (item 260535656146 end time Jan-16-10 23:43:19 PST)

will this fit my rebel xs?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Should work fine.

(If you really wanted to, you could make your own for a few bucks and a trip to Radio Shack... Remotes like this are probably one of the few cases where the cheap stuff is just as good as the expensive stuff. There just isn't really much to go wrong on a device this simple.)

Should work fine.

(If you really wanted to, you could make your own for a few bucks and a trip to Radio Shack... Remotes like this are probably one of the few cases where the cheap stuff is just as good as the expensive stuff. There just isn't really much to go wrong on a device this simple.)

sounds good. i'm just bout to buy it from ebay for $8.99 free ship :mrgreen:

thanks!

in my above post I meant i have an internal flash not external...should I get an external flash> if so what kind?

thanks again!

in my above post I meant i have an internal flash not external...should I get an external flash> if so what kind?

thanks again!

You mean just the pop-up flash on the camera, or something else?

If all you have is the pop-up flash, an off-camera flash would help a lot. You can still do a lot just by using the tripod though. With a tripod, you can use just about any light (even a desk lamp...).

You might want to look into some extention tubes as well, get even more out of that 100mm macro.

hmmm wat extension tubes?

They are basically just hollow tubes... You can get them in various lengths. They let you focus closer.

The 100mm macro can do 1:1 at minimum focus distance, these would let you focus even closer giving you magnification even greater than 1:1.

thanks again!

You mean just the pop-up flash on the camera, or something else?

If all you have is the pop-up flash, an off-camera flash would help a lot. You can still do a lot just by using the tripod though. With a tripod, you can use just about any light (even a desk lamp...).

Yes, the pop up flash is what I'm referring too. I will hold off on the flash until later and look into extension tubes right now. :thumbup:

What I said above is assuming that you're shooting non-living things... A bug isn't going to sit still long enough for you to use a desk lamp for a light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back