Macro lens advise needed

Summer75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was going to get the Canon 100 2.8 macro, but it is abit over my price range. I am looking for something sharp and great quality. Hopefully Canon but I am also open to a third party lens. I am lost with what to get and uncertain about choosing because I don't want something subpar.

Last edited:
Those are amazing, of the frog. Are those cropped or sharpened digitally? How close can you stand to a still object (say a snowflake) to focus? I read the reviews and this sounds like a great lens.

"Super Macro Mode lets you get in even closer at up to 0.305 ft./0.093m from your subject"
strange way to state the close focus distance - 0.305 ft. Would that be 3.66 inches???

Those are amazing, of the frog. Are those cropped or sharpened digitally? How close can you stand to a still object (say a snowflake) to focus? I read the reviews and this sounds like a great lens.
No sharpening, slight crop for composition. Straight color and metering out of camera. I was right on top of the frog, 4 to 5 inches on the direct to face pic. On my knees for the others, maybe 10-12 inches.

If you are looking to do really small stuff ( you mentioned a snowflake) you might consider the Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro. I think it goes for around $380 new. I have their 15mm ultra wide macro and it's very sharp. I've heard good things about the 60mm as well.

This lens will have twice the magnification as the canon as well as a closer working distance.

Macro Flowers-2.jpg
Macro Flowers-2.jpg I have tried several modes for macro......I ended up with a Tokina 100mm macro lens........the shorter lenses forces you to get closer to the subject........just playing around last night......

My standard recommendation for this is the Tokina 100mm. However I dont know if they make it for Canon ? With Nikon its an AF lens - it needs a motor inside the camera.

Theres the Tamron 90mm f2.8 VC which is also very popular.

And theres of course the Sigma 150mm which is mostly popular because nobody else does such a long focal lenght, except the Canon 180mm(?) and the most recently discontinued Nikon AF 200mm.

P.s.: Canon specifically has a 65mm lens which goes from 1:1 to 5:1 magnification (it doesnt offer anything thats not macro). One of the lenses which tempt me to get a Canon DSLR as well. Other such lenses are the 85mm f1.2 and the tilt/shift lenses.

The Tokina & Canon......good combo.......either ff or crop......no problem...

Most reactions

Back