Macro lens, D7500

Tballphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well ive been busy, and have realized that a macro lens would be the good thing to get this year. I have ideas of things id like to photograph, and it seems macro photography is considered b the young peoples, to be the "in way" to "prove" skillz with a kammera.

I did the email help thing at bh photo video, and they recommended the venus optics lens below. Thing is, it seems to have some issues in customer photographs. The Nikon lens below does not seem to have the issues.

My main interest is

Image quality

Optical quality

depth of field, I have a tendency to stay 20 and up with my lenses

Genuine Macro lens. I have played around with the Tamron macro lens adapter kit with an old film camera and the results were less then stellar. I care about ease of use, and with quality. I admit that the non Nikon and non Sigma offerings have interesting focusing distances in macro mode, but quality quality quality

ikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Lens

Venus Optics Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro Lens for Nikon F

What camera, what type of macro?

its in the title,

macro lens, D7500

You might want to go with a little longer focal length. My first macro was a Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro. It's a great lens, very sharp, no complaints except for working distance. The longer the focal length the further back you can get from the subject for a 1:1 shot. With the 60mm it is a bit tricky to avoid shadows or blocking light as the minimum distance is 7.2". The 40mm lens has a minimum distance of 6.4" I ended up buying a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro and IQ is every bit as good as the Nikon 60mm, but gives me a bit more working distance at 12.3" for 1:1 shot.

its something to consider, the minimum distance is rather confusing as SOME advertisements for lenses say "minimum distance is 8 inches but you are able to get great shots at 12"

its something to consider, the minimum distance is rather confusing as SOME advertisements for lenses say "minimum distance is 8 inches but you are able to get great shots at 12"

How close you are to the subject, depends on the subject.
  • If the subject area is small you have to get close, if the subject area is large you have to move farther away.
  • If you are shooting an inanimate subject, like a coin, you can get CLOSE. But if you are shooting an insect that moves, if you get too close, it will jump away. Or worse, sting you.
I am cautious on advertised distances, because over the years, companies have not been consistent in HOW that is measured.
For ME, the distance that matters is the working distance. The distance from the front of the lens to the subject. Even this changes if the lens extends to focus or zoom.

I have the nikon 105 f/2.8 micro that I have shot with various bodies including a D7500. It has VR which makes it great for hand holding close ups. I also use it with a R1 flash which makes life a lot easier. As a cheap alternative, I used a Raynox 150 50-200 and it did surprisingly well.
9ts90LSh.jpg

Shot with the Raynox 150 and AF-S DX 50-200.

What needs to be looked at is two specific concepts of distance as it is discussed here.

Working distance is literally just that. How far away from the subject you are.
A 35mm Macro will mean to have the subject in frame and visible-in focus means you will be within 1-2 feet of the subject if not closer.
Macro with bellows means you will be literally inches or less from the subject.
Not good with a fly.

A 180mm Macro translates to a visible subject from about 3-10 feet depending on the subject.

Now the advertised distance found on the lens is how close you can get to a subject and remains IN FOCUS! Meaning that if the lens says 0.8 meters, that 2.6 feet away where the subject will remain in focus.
if you get closer than the 0.8 meters, then it won't be able to focus on the subject. you too close for the lens to do so.

On some lenses there are limiters and "full". this is because many macro lenses can be used as regular lenses with certain advantages. The full means to infinity. Te limit is just that. A limit on the total distance that it usable with the lens. That usually is the close distance to infinity.

I am very happy with my used
Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Macro
this is the F004 version, same optics as the F017 (newer).
I also use a D7500.

What needs to be looked at is two specific concepts of distance as it is discussed here.

Working distance is literally just that. How far away from the subject you are.
A 35mm Macro will mean to have the subject in frame and visible-in focus means you will be within 1-2 feet of the subject if not closer.
Macro with bellows means you will be literally inches or less from the subject.
Not good with a fly.

A 180mm Macro translates to a visible subject from about 3-10 feet depending on the subject.

Now the advertised distance found on the lens is how close you can get to a subject and remains IN FOCUS! Meaning that if the lens says 0.8 meters, that 2.6 feet away where the subject will remain in focus.
if you get closer than the 0.8 meters, then it won't be able to focus on the subject. you too close for the lens to do so.

On some lenses there are limiters and "full". this is because many macro lenses can be used as regular lenses with certain advantages. The full means to infinity. Te limit is just that. A limit on the total distance that it usable with the lens. That usually is the close distance to infinity.

Not sure if this thread is the way to ask a question but i have two questions based on this comment you made.

1. I have a canon with an FD mount zoom macro lens. I have a slight issue in that the MACRO mode is also the INFINITY setting on the focus ring..

Yet the MACRO function is ONLY apparent if I am very close to an object, and oddly

2. the lens looses the MACRO view. Say im doing a closeup on a dime, and move the lens off the dime, i LOOSE the view/focus on the dime until i turn the focus ring down to zero and then refocus on the dime, is that normal

Not sure if this thread is the way to ask a question but i have two questions based on this comment you made.

1. I have a canon with an FD mount zoom macro lens. I have a slight issue in that the MACRO mode is also the INFINITY setting on the focus ring..

Yet the MACRO function is ONLY apparent if I am very close to an object, and oddly

2. the lens looses the MACRO view. Say im doing a closeup on a dime, and move the lens off the dime, i LOOSE the view/focus on the dime until i turn the focus ring down to zero and then refocus on the dime, is that normal
The first part I couldnt answer. i never played with the FD mount so the lenses are unfamiliar.

The second point however I would need to ask if you are using a tripod or not.

no tripod, the tripod i have doesnt seem to work with it

Try NIKON's most underrated lens of all time, the 28-105.

They are plentiful, inexpensive, tack sharp and will get you to 1:2 and still autofocus.

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR Autofocus Lens for APS-C Sensor DSLR​

Nikon AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D Macro​

I thought i saw in one of the Nikon websites that the D7500 was UNABLE to meter or autofocus a lens with a MANUAL aperture ring.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back