Macro Lens for an XTi weilding Newbie.

Dradd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Heya Guys,

Sorry if this in the the wrong place...still a TPF newbie (and relative photography newbie at that)
I was hopeing for a little advice about what is a decent Macro lens for a Canon 400D.

From the looking around I have done, it would seem my options are something like:

Canon EF 50mm f2.5 Macro
Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro (Pretty far out of my price limit)
Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma AF28-300 f3.5-6.3 Macro
Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG

Any other Lenses that anyone could reccomend. I'm just looking for a decent quality lens, doesn't have to be anything exceptional, just something good enough for me to try my hand at Macro. Budget is a bit of a consideration too.

Whaddya think?

I would recommend the Canon 100mm Macro, but since its out of your price range, my next pick would be the Sigma 105mm. If I remember right, the 105 does not have internal focus. So the end of it extends toward your subject.

Lighting is key in a macro setup. Do you have an external flash?

I don't normally reccomend this over a dedicated macro lens, but since you're just trying it out consider extension tubes.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375102-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGC_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

i also have the sigma 105 and am very happy with it. It doesnt have internal focusing, so it moves toward your subject. And like TCImages said, the lighting is very important (i learned this from him too) Makes a world of difference if you use proper lighting

Is this a form a photography you really plan on getting into or are you just trying it out. If you are not sure then IMO you would be better off starting with tubes.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375102-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGC_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

For $170 you use an existing lens. The tubes have no glass in them so they do not affect the IQ. They can be used with dedicated Macro lenses later on if you really like macro and if you find that you do not care for macro then you can always sell them and recover most of your costs if they are in good shape. They really don't loose much value as they have no optics.

From the B&H web site:

Extension tubes are designed to enable a lens to focus closer than its normal set minimum focusing distance. Getting closer has the effect of magnifying your subject (making it appear larger in the viewfinder and in your pictures). They are exceptionally useful for macro photography, enabling you to convert almost any lens into a macro lens at a fraction of the cost while maintaining its original optical quality.

The extension tubes have no optics. They are mounted between the camera body and lens to create more distance between the lens and film plane. By moving the lens father away from the film or CCD sensor in the camera, the lens is forced to focus much closer than normal. The greater the length of the extension tube, the closer the lens can focus.

When using the camera's TTL metering system, no exposure compensation will be required (exposure compensation is required for handheld meters). Note: Not compatible with the Canon Digital-only EF-S lenses, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 17-85 f/4-5.6, 60 f/2.8 macro.

This would be a good way to look into macro and decide if you want to continue. If you do, my choice was the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro lens. Tack sharp and a fine portrait lens to boot.

Cheers for the replys guys.
I have looked into the Extension Tubes as a possible option, does anyone know what kind of results I could expect with the 18-55mm Kit Lens? Nothing stellar I realise, but having options is a good thing right :D

I was also mulling over picking up a Nifty Fifty sometime.

It will work fine, but I have to tell you it's tricky. You will only have an acceptable working distance around 50mm and above.

Here is a shot (not perfect, but you get the idea) with the 18-55 w/ Full set of Extension tubes and Rebel XT.
272822788_hhhyX-X3.jpg

It will work fine, but I have to tell you it's tricky. You will only have an acceptable working distance around 50mm and above.

Here is a shot (not perfect, but you get the idea) with the 18-55 w/ Full set of Extension tubes and Rebel XT.
272822788_hhhyX-X3.jpg

Holy cow. That's gross.

Gross... But cool :D

Cheers TC.

When you say "w/ Full set of Extension tubes" What do you mean by Full Set?

I know Canon do a EF25 and a EF12 extension, do you mean combining the two, or something different.

Cheers

Dann has you covered.

I wouldn't buy the Canon ones. They are a waste of money considering the quality of air inside them would be the same..:)...They have no glass. Consider the link I posted for ya. Be careful, really cheap ones do not have electrical connections and some do not allow your aperture to work.

I still recommend a dedicated Macro lens BTW. Dann can show you a link to some wonderful shots taken with the Sigma. Either of these (Canon or Sigma) make a wonderful prime portrait lens. I think the Sigma has infinity focus.

Cheers for the reply's guys.

I did look at the link you gave me, but I'm tucked all the way down here in NZ, shipping (and import taxes probally) can get a little pricey at times. Need to buy a few things at once to make it worthwhile.
But I'm sure I'll be able to source something similar locally anyway.

I would definatly prefer a dedicated Macro lens, but unfortunately sometimes the hobbies have to play second fiddle to the other, more pressing obligations.

But, Thanks again for the help :D

Most reactions

Back