Macro lens for D40?

kikicool

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there. I'm TOTALLY a beginner--as in my first SLR just arrived in the box. It came as part of a package that included a 55-200 mm lens (along with an 18-55 mm lens). I want to be able to take pix of insects and close up of flowers. My question is, will I need to purchase macro lenses as well? Or will the 55-200 enable me to do this? Thanks!

The 55-200 close-focuses to about meter, so, can get close, but not macro. Macro lenses are pretty expensive, you might try starting with a close-up diopter instead (basically a magnifying glass for your lenses)

Hi there. I'm TOTALLY a beginner--as in my first SLR just arrived in the box. It came as part of a package that included a 55-200 mm lens (along with an 18-55 mm lens). I want to be able to take pix of insects and close up of flowers. My question is, will I need to purchase macro lenses as well? Or will the 55-200 enable me to do this? Thanks!

You'll get way better 'close-ups' with the 18-55...it can focus as close as 9 inches i believe. The 55-200 sucks for anything close up....meant for long distance shots. Play around with the 18-55, then once you are familiar with your camera go for a macro.

Thanks for all the responses!! Much obliged. Since I am a beginner, I'm VERY hesitant to spend a lot of money on lenses. I mean, the D4 was a HUGE expenditure for me. :) So...this may be a dumb question for a photography forum, but what better place to ask?

I know these are jus filters, but could I use something like this, just placed over the 18-55 mm lens? I know they are probably cheapo and not the best quality...but will they do what I am thinking they will? (allow me to focus super close up) Just until I can afford a real macro lens. Thoughts? Thanks!
MACRO Close Up Lenses Nikon D50 D40 D40X + Soft pouch - eBay (item 380124074761 end time Jun-12-09 11:25:14 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would question the quality of those macro attachments you listed the link too. Reason being is your trying to get the fine detail by shooting macro. With the attachments your trying to increase the size so its larger in the picture. I would bet you would get better results by using your lens and make sure the focus is spot on and low ISO setting. And then just crop the shot to increase the subject. The kit lenses are not known for being the sharpest lenses either. And by putting very cheap attachment in front of them just spells bad results.

I agree and just stick with the lenses you have. Just get in as close as you can and still get good focus. Thats the key with macro.

Great. Good to know. Thanks, all!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back