Macro lenses comparison

Deneuve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I really enjoy macro photography and so far I've been taking only close-ups of, for instance, flowers with my kit lens. However, I'd like to upgrade to a real macro lens. So far, I've spotted the following few, I'd be happy if you could tell me which one's preferably the best & what's the exact difference between them.

Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon AF Micro Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G

Thank you!

Only one in that batch that is a real macro lens is the 40mm 2.8G as it has a reproduction ratio of 1:1. Meaning the image projected onto the sensor is the same size as real life.

If you are going to shoot any kind of bugs and you suck at being a Ninja I suggest minimum focal length is 90mm. If you are on FX look at 105mm.

I bit the bullet a couple of years ago and bought a new 105mm f/2.8 micro Nikkor. Best photography investment I have made to date.

Thank you for your responses! Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy such an expensive lens at that point so I was aiming to get a cheaper one. It's not a problem for me to have to get really close to the object too. I do know each lens should have a reproduction ratio of 1:1 but the website I found those on had listed all those lenses as macro ones although their ratio's different, doesn't make sense to me honestly?! In that case, I should probably get the 40mm 2.8G to begin with?

it would help if you were to compare macro lens...

the reproduction ratio of those you posted are, in order:

1:1
1:7
1:9
1:7

I'd be look more at the 60mm, 90mm, and 105mm macro lenses from nikon, sigma, or tamron.

Attachments

• $nat on a water drop.jpg
    $nat on a water drop.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 165
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you just put Micro-Nikkor on a whole bunch of non macro lenses?

I love, love, love, love my Nikon 105mm macro.. It takes beautiful sharp images. You can take a look at my flicker pictures..All my food shots are taken with the 105mm. I also use it for portraits..It's a versatile lens. Did I mention that I love this lens? :mrgreen:

I love, love, love, love my Nikon 105mm macro.. It takes beautiful sharp images. You can take a look at my flicker pictures..All my food shots are taken with the 105mm. I also use it for portraits..It's a versatile lens. Did I mention that I love this lens? :mrgreen:

What's your flickr address?
I would like to check out your macro photos :)

The link is in my signature. I don't true macro photography.. I just use it for food photography. :)

The link is in my signature. I don't true macro photography.. I just use it for food photography. :)

i'ma check that out! I've been known to like food.

edit: oh noo! It is all healthy food. Where is the steak and gravy?

OP: There's two options you've neglected to mention. One is the Micro-Nikkor 60mm f2.8D and the other is the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8D; both are true macro lenses (1:1 ratio) and both are very good values used. The 60mm tends to go for around $300-350 on my local Craig's List and the 105mm around $425-475. What that would translate into in terms of price and availability in your area is hard to say, but even if you buy them used from a retail outlet or through eBay, they're going to be competitive with the choices you've listed. As well, depending on the type of work you do, extension tubes may well be worth considering.

I just checked your flickr, nice photo sets. (I was using my phone to view the post so did not see your signature :))

Most reactions

New Topics

Back