Macro options

madisonofriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon d3000, And I want macro capability, but cant afford a macro lens. What are my options?
If you could list some links that would be great.

What's your budget?
Under $100
Keh camera is a great used lens dealer. You can find some old manual focus Lens' on there for under $100. Most of the time when shooting macro objects you'll be using manual focus anyways, so I don't really see this as a down side personally.

You can also look into extension tubes, which I don't know much about but I am sure someone will chime in with some info!

Extension tubes.

Reversing a lens on the camera.

Reversing a lens on another lens.

Close-up filters (Diopters).

I bought some off brand extension tubes for $52 from Amazon. They claim to be "full autofocus" but electronic function was spotty. Manual focus is better for macro anyway. Haven't tried them with anything but a kit 55-200. Got some decent shots, see the post I added to the Macro forum today for examples.

I use a cheap set of manual extension tubes for macros, they are pretty easy to use one you get used to the thin DOF. The biggest drawback to them is the light loss so you may find yourself looking for a bracket and flash to get a bit more light. I've got a couple of reversing rings too which can work well but the extension tubes are easier.

Stay away from cheap diopters/close up filters they will destroy your image quality (with the exception of the Raynox macro converters which seem to be quite good)

Flower in fron yard crop-4.jpg Amazon.com: Raynox

These are an inexpensive option that are very easy to use with AF lenses. All you do is snap it onto your lens. IQ is surprisingly good. I shot this with a Nikon D5100, 55-200 AF-S and a Raynox 150

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The least expensive method is buying a lens reversing ring, There are two methods.
Lens reversed on camera.One side fits the camera, the other fits the lens filter ring. 52mm Macro Lens Reverse Adapter Ring for Nikon AI AF Mount DSLR D5100 D3100 D90 | eBay. Match with the lens filter diameter. Works best with manual lenses.

Lens reversed on lens. Male filter threads on both sides. Uneven rings are available. Male 55mm 58mm 55 58 mm Macro Reverse Ring Reversing | eBay

Extension tubes or bellows. Priced from dirt cheap on up. Nikon D5100 extension tubes | eBay

Look up some of the macro forums.
Have fun, it is fascinating.

Phil

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back