Macro photo of a Hebe in my garden

Smoogle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
This is my first upload and it is very exciting :)
I grow this Hebe in a big pot, just outside my main window,
so I can see it well.
It is the only thing blooming at the moment it being winter here.
I love the deep color of it :)

I need to learn a lot so any feedback is welcome
on how I could have improved this photo :)
It is taken with a Panasonic FZ1000 and Raynox 250.

Greetings Monika.

Hebe.jpg

Hi Monika,

Neat flower! Those Raynox adapters look like they work pretty well and keep decent image quality!

I really like the colors in this photo; the greens, purples, and blues work really well together! The depth of focus is pretty thin, but has an abstract sense to it in this shot. A little more would allow more of the flowers to be in focus, but it would change the look of the shot.

Negative space can add to the shot, and sometimes it can add an element of mystery or can help with scale (e.g., make things look much smaller compared to the surroundings). I personally love finding ways to use negative space in shots. What was your intention for the negative space in this shot? If I were to make this shot, I don't think I would use as much negative space, rather I would try to focus more on the flower.

Also, is that a leaf coming up and pointing to the flower? It looks pretty alien here. I'm sure you could find lots of other ways to shoot this, by changing orientation or including the green leaf in abstract ways. Maybe head on with the flower, directly behind the leaf, with the leaf coming up from the bottom center? I wonder what that would look like?

It is a beautiful picture and nice to see the narrow depth of field u used. really pretty!

Hi Monika,

Neat flower! Those Raynox adapters look like they work pretty well and keep decent image quality!

I really like the colors in this photo; the greens, purples, and blues work really well together! The depth of focus is pretty thin, but has an abstract sense to it in this shot. A little more would allow more of the flowers to be in focus, but it would change the look of the shot.

Negative space can add to the shot, and sometimes it can add an element of mystery or can help with scale (e.g., make things look much smaller compared to the surroundings). I personally love finding ways to use negative space in shots. What was your intention for the negative space in this shot? If I were to make this shot, I don't think I would use as much negative space, rather I would try to focus more on the flower.

Also, is that a leaf coming up and pointing to the flower? It looks pretty alien here. I'm sure you could find lots of other ways to shoot this, by changing orientation or including the green leaf in abstract ways. Maybe head on with the flower, directly behind the leaf, with the leaf coming up from the bottom center? I wonder what that would look like?

Hi Waday, thank you for your comment :)
There are some things to think about :)

The negative space might have to do with a yinyang feeling and a bit of mystery :)
I am not a very technical person and usually do things intuitive :)
When I see something on the LCD screen that I like, I click.
That can turn out nice or not haha
I do want to learn the technical aspect, it will make a better basis.

Thank you for pointing out the alien ;)
I always wanted to see one.
Now I even got one on camera, who on the planet can say that :)

Many greetings and thanks for the pointers, Monika :)
Have a great day !

Most reactions

Back