Macro snowflakes.

lol funny after I hit post, my message says almost the same thing as HopeNFotos! I swear I didnt just reword your response lol

How did you do it? did you drop snow or was it snowing?

Fan-friggin-tastic. This is the one reason I wish that I had a dedicated macro lens.

These are awesome! Third one is my favorite - great compositionally and with the varying depths.

I was just thinking that I'd love to take close-ups of snowflakes last night - we got our first decent snow with good sized flakes yesterday! I don't have a macro lens or extension tubes. Could something like this be pulled off with reverse lens macro? Or is that a dangerous proposition?

I'm overwhelmed by the great response. I think I can do better though (or I got lucky and I'm mistaken). I'll try!

How did you do it? did you drop snow or was it snowing?

It was snowing outside. There were some giant flakes.. I mean BIG ones and I've been wanting to try this for a couple weeks now.

I let the flakes fall on to the piece of blue laminated magazine paper and I was just taking shots at the minimum focus distance when they looked sharp in the viewfinder (handheld). I think setting up with a tripod would have been nice but I was about to sit down to eat so this was rushed..

What was your aperture on these?

They were all taken at f/8 1/200 with a flash fired (bare) sitting about 12 inches to the left of the snowflakes. I actually just laid the paper and the flash on the railing out in the backyard.

after these many posts i ran out of things to say/ask....haha but i just gotta say they are amazing!! i am definitely going to get a macro lens+extension tube combo after this :thumbup::thumbup:

I hate that I live in louisiana and it almost never snows!

I am going to UTAH or Idaho to go skiing in December then it is on! I got to do that! That is really freaking cool!

Cool Paul.

Now you have given me another thing to try; I never thought to put tubes behind my macro lens. I have used a 2x tel-converter but tubes would yield even more magnification.

Those are great shots. I had actually been thinking of trying something like that. You've just given me the initiative to do it. I never thought of bringing something outside for them to land on, I was just going to try to get some sitting on an existing object. That's why this forum is great, gives you ideas for things to try out.

That's awesome! How did you keep them from melting?
I just read somewhere..about using felt that you freeze first.
Makes me want to try it...since it's snowing here again right now :meh:
hate snow.

Great results! Have you checked what's the magnification of such a combo? If the Tamron has 1:1, then with a 65mm extension tube, it should be somewhere around 1.7:1? Or am I wrong?

Most reactions

Back